What's new

whats the deal with tethering?

nufan

Reaction score
If you jailbreak your iphone, do you have to reboot it more often?
I hardly ever reboot my phone and wonder if jailbreaking it with a tethered version of Redsnow is really that big of a deal?
I suppose if your phone locks up and you have to reboot (only happened to me once in years of owning iphone), however I have never jailbroken an iphonr before.
What happens if you are oput and about and your phone lockes up and you do have to reboot? Will the jailbroken phone not boot and you'e S.o.L till you can get to your computer?

Thanks

Very misleading title. "Tethering" refers to using your iDevice as a hotspot and using it as an access point. A better title would be "Whats the deal with booting tethered".

Kind of confusing what you're asking. If you turn your device fully off in any way such as powering off or restarting/rebooting your iPhone, you'll need to boot it with your computer. By locking up, do you mean on standby?

If you jailbreak your iphone, do you have to reboot it more often?
I hardly ever reboot my phone and wonder if jailbreaking it with a tethered version of Redsnow is really that big of a deal?
I suppose if your phone locks up and you have to reboot (only happened to me once in years of owning iphone), however I have never jailbroken an iphonr before.
What happens if you are oput and about and your phone lockes up and you do have to reboot? Will the jailbroken phone not boot and you'e S.o.L till you can get to your computer?

Thanks
Honestly, when you Jailbreak your iDevice... how often you need to reboot it lies soley upon you. More often than not, while Jailbroken, and iDevice will require a reboot when adding tweaks/packages that are tied into your operating system, and when you've installed a tweak/package that conflicts with another previously installed tweak/package. In that case, your iDevice will reboot into safe mode. Thus allowing you to work around and remove whatever recently installed item caused the crash. So, in essence yes... you'll be rebooting your iDevice more often while Jailbroken than running stock.

If you're out and your iDevice reboots for any reason (while on a Tethered JB) you basically won't be able to do anything w/ it. However, there is a package you can install from Cydia that allows what called a "Semi-Tether." This allows your iDevice to reboot back to a somewhat operable state. It'll allow you to use your Phone, Messaging, Email, Safari, etc. All Jailbreak tweaks/packages will be disabled, however when rebooting Semi-Tethered until you "Just Boot" via redsn0w.

yes I meant a full turn off shut down. Which I never do.
Jailbreaking intrest all started for me because I want to get my Girlfriend an iPad 2 for x-mas, but she works outside and I want to jailbreak her iPhone 4 she she can use it as a hot spot. However if her phone locks up for some reason I don't want her to be without a phone till she gets back to our computer.

Back to the question....do jailbrokenphones need to be completely rebooted often?

Sounds like I need to jailbreak with redsnow, add cydia and the semi-tethered programs?

Last edited:
yes I meant a full turn off shut down. Which I never do.
Jailbreaking intrest all started for me because I want to get my Girlfriend an iPad 2 for x-mas, but she works outside and I want to jailbreak her iPhone 4 she she can use it as a hot spot. However if her phone locks up for some reason I don't want her to be without a phone till she gets back to our computer.

Back to the question....do jailbrokenphones need to be completely rebooted often?

Sounds like I need to jailbreak with redsnow, add cydia and the semi-tethered programs?
No, JB iDevice don't need to be rebooted often. The reboot possibility lies soley on what you install, conflicts w/ those installs, and simply not letting it run dead.

What iOS version is her iPhone 4 running?

Its a verison iPhone 4 iOS 6.0 or 6.0.1 if she updated, she probably did.
I really just plan on buying PDAnet for her to use, but it has to be Jailbroken to install it.

Its a verison iPhone 4 iOS 6.0 or 6.0.1 if she updated, she probably did.
I really just plan on buying PDAnet for her to use, but it has to be Jailbroken to install it.
Honestly, if the sole purpose of JBing her iPhone 4 is to use a work around for the hotspot... you shouldn't have any problems what so ever w/ reboots. Of course though, add the Semi-Tethered package just for safe measure.

Honestly, if the sole purpose of JBing her iPhone 4 is to use a work around for the hotspot... you shouldn't have any problems what so ever w/ reboots. Of course though, add the Semi-Tethered package just for safe measure.

thank you very much for answering. Did I have my programs right? redsnow, cydia and the semi-tether? If so, is there on download that has all three? seems like it would be a "common" set up.

I know I'm a noob, so thanks for not being condescending. I have seen some responses that are unproductive in other threads.