What's new

Tethering Clarity

roaddaw9

Reaction score
I am really debating on doing the redsnow tethered jailbreak on iOS 5 GM. Obviously untethered would be preferred but it isn't an option. So..... my question is simple. I read online that obviously when you are away from your computer and have to reboot, your apps don't work. My question is the phone completely crippled? I guess what I am trying to get at is if I am 4 hours from home and have to reboot, can I still get my phone to come up and work for calls, e-mail, etc? Or is it completely crippled and won't even boot. Thanks for anyone that might have gone down this path.

roaddaw9 said:
I am really debating on doing the redsnow tethered jailbreak on iOS 5 GM. Obviously untethered would be preferred but it isn't an option. So..... my question is simple. I read online that obviously when you are away from your computer and have to reboot, your apps don't work. My question is the phone completely crippled? I guess what I am trying to get at is if I am 4 hours from home and have to reboot, can I still get my phone to come up and work for calls, e-mail, etc? Or is it completely crippled and won't even boot. Thanks for anyone that might have gone down this path.

You won't be able to do diddly squat unless you reboot tethered. I wouldn't recommend doing a tethered jailbreak.

All you can do is look at the screen and see the apple logo, that's all it does. Until you use redsnow to reboot the device. I would wait for untethered, I have tethered and it really sucks.

I have had a tethered JB for a week now and have had absolutely zero problems. I never have to reboot,but sometimes respring. A respring is ok and doesn't need redsnow.

I agree, it's quite easy to work with a tethered jailbreak. I did so for a month when iOS4 was first released and only found myself having to reboot twice when I was away from a computer(due to the battery dying). As long as you make sure not to install any Cydia applications that require a reboot and you keep your device charged it is pretty manageable.

That being said, if this is a phone you use for work or something else where you would absolutely HAVE to have a functioning phone, you may want to hold off for the untethered iOS5 jailbreak.

I've been tethered for about a month now, I haven't had any problems. Was a little scared the first time I respringed (re-sprung) thought I had to be tethered, but worked ok. Still a good choice to have control of your phone.

DF