What's new

What's the deal with bloat ware apps (BBC News)

APX7000

Reaction score
The BBC news app I downloaded was 15 meg. After using it for 9 months the app now is 180 megs!

Why do some apps over time take up so much memory?

I have another news app (RT News) that starts out at 10 meg and in 9 months grow to only15 megs.

What's the deal with apps that grow and take up so much memory even when you don't save anything, but just read them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The BBC news app I downloaded was 15 meg. After using it for 9 months the app now is 180 megs!

Why do some apps over time take up so much memory?

I have another news app (RT News) that starts out at 10 meg and in 9 months grow to only15 megs.

What's the deal with apps that grow and take up so much memory even when you don't save anything, but just read them?

I'm no expert, but I would think it has to do with cached data.

Deleting the app and re-installing it would get rid of the cached data.
Well, that's a simple fix. I'll have to remember that one.

Just had a thought; shouldn't the app have a mechanism for deleting cached data?

Well, that's a simple fix. I'll have to remember that one.

Just had a thought; shouldn't the app have a mechanism for deleting cached data?
It should, if it's a well written app. Mail is another app that can build up a huge stash of cached data.

That's what I do is delete the app and download it again. I'm just wondering why it stashes so much data/memory.

Other apps over a 9 month period only grow 1-2 meg in size. Is it just that the BBC app is so horribly coded?