What's new

What is jailbreaking

tvmovielover

Reaction score
Hi Iv heard people talking about jailbreaking there phone and was wondering what exactly it is I mean what does it do ? What is it for? I know that once u jailbreak your phone that your warranty is void and I think it's kinda the same if you have it insured so why do it ?? Can anyone enlighten me ? I'm really interested

Technical Definition of Jailbreak:
The iPhone, iPod touch & iPad hack that allow users to gain access to the entire Unix filesystem. In Unix terms, this refers to changing the root of the directory tree to /.

Understandable Definition of Jailbreak:
A hack that gains access to areas of the iPhone, iPod touch or iPad that users aren’t supposed to mess with. Typically, this is an immediate prelude to either installing cool programs, unlocking the handset for use with another cellular network, or both.

Through jailbreaking, you are able to add additional applications to your iDevice. It allows you to do so by adding an application called Cydia to your iDevice. It also allows modding (changing) of your iDevice application icons, wallpaper, dock, status bar, chat bubbles, weather backgrounds, keyboard….etc.

iFrog said:
The iPhone, iPod touch & iPad hack that allow users to gain access to the entire Unix filesystem. In Unix terms, this refers to changing the root of the directory tree to /.

A hack that gains access to areas of the iPhone, iPod touch or iPad that users aren’t supposed to mess with. Typically, this is an immediate prelude to either installing cool programs, unlocking the handset for use with another cellular network, or both.

Through jailbreaking, you are able to add additional applications to your iDevice. It allows you to do so by adding an application called Cydia to your iDevice. It also allows modding (changing) of your iDevice application icons, wallpaper, dock, status bar, chat bubbles, weather backgrounds, keyboard….etc.

+5 ifrog. Great explanation

iFrog said:

Thank you now sm question about Cydia lol wot does it do ?? Many thanks your really good with breaking it down :D

Cydia is a 3rd party app store. It's just like the normal iTunes app store but it contains 3rd party applications and system/theme modifications that would not normally be allowed in the iTunes store.

Cydia is like the app store for jail breaking. Its where you can download app's,tweaks and many other special things.