What's new

What exactly are the benefits:?

Iyokuu

Reaction score
Currently I have an Iphone 4 with verizon and an Iphone 4S with Sprint. I switched to Sprint because I was informed it would be cheaper, but after receiving my bill and talking to the assistant manager over the phone I've come to the conclusion it's the same price. Now I want to know exactly what is the benefit of having a 4S over a 4. What are you guys input on this situation? What would you do here?

Iyokuu said:
Currently I have an Iphone 4 with verizon and an Iphone 4S with Sprint. I switched to Sprint because I was informed it would be cheaper, but after receiving my bill and talking to the assistant manager over the phone I've come to the conclusion it's the same price. Now I want to know exactly what is the benefit of having a 4S over a 4. What are you guys input on this situation? What would you do here?

There is really only a Benefit in having an iPhone 4 over a 4S if you like to jailbreak and modify your device and make it do things and have acres functionality that Apple would not allow any AppStore apps to do.

The 4S is better then the iPhone 4 in pretty much every way except one...the iPhone 4 can be easily jailbroken.

Well the iPhone 4S does have the virtual assistant Siri...which is something that the iPhone 4 does not have. But you can easily put Siri on a jailbroken iPhone 4 too.

I my opinion the stock iPhone 4S does not come close to a jailbroken iPhone 4. But jailbreaking is not for everyone. There are a lot of things one needs to learn if you want to be a jailbreaker.

Some people do not want to take the time to learn those things for sake of having no real customization options, and fear of messing up there device some how.

So that is the benefit of having an iPhone 4 over a 4S....but that really ONLY applies if you like to tinker and customize your device.

If all you want is a good working solid phone that "just works" and you don't care at all about jailbreaking and adding extra functionality to your device, then of coarse go with the latest model....iPhone 4S.

The choice is yours really. It's all personal preference....basically depends on how much yum like to tinker with an modify your device to your liking.

If you don't care about modifying the device to your needs...then go with the 4S.

If you would like to jailbreak and add extra functionality, being make your phone do almost literally whatever you want....then the iPhone 4 is best.

I chose the iPhone 4 over the 4S simply because the iPhone 4 is easy to jailbreak....and I can have everything the 4S has with my jailbroken iPhone except for the hardware changes of coarse....which are *minor* at best.

4S has several upgrades. It is technically faster than the 4 in loading applications. It has a much better back camera. But the single largest change for me was the new antenna design. Which, for me at least, removed any issue with dropped calls.

Now there is one con in my opinion. The 4S battery life is around 15% worse than the 4. But I still can go all day one a single charge.

And my 4 is already jailbroken. I've been hovering the internet since I got the 4S hoping the jailbreak would release for it. Siri is really of no use to me. And Evi is just as good as Siri so I wouldn't miss out. the reason I'm pondering this is because I'm within a 14 day limit at Sprint and can get all my money back if I return it within time/taken out of a two-year contract. I really just like the black iphone over the white one, but it's nothing I can't cover up with skins or anything. (Plus it's new.) And Sprint has been very slow loading simple things like Facebook and Youtube, compared to my Verizon 4 that loads simple apps like that within seconds.

Both of those apps require internet access as they are loading. So yes, the 4S on Sprint will be much slower than a 4 on Verizon. In fact any phone on Sprint will be slower than on Verizon.

And here I was told Sprint was actually fast. The A5 to me, should actually boost the speed in loading time on the 4S over the 4 if they're both on the same wifi. It feels like there is no real difference. I've never had a dropped call on my 4 and in fact I honestly have no idea what this antennae problem is I've been reading about. And I don't really use my camera for a career or anything. 5MP is just fine for personal shots of myself and friends. It still looks HD when I show it off to people.

Skull One said:
4S has several upgrades. It is technically faster than the 4 in loading applications. It has a much better back camera. But the single largest change for me was the new antenna design. Which, for me at least, removed any issue with dropped calls.

Now there is one con in my opinion. The 4S battery life is around 15% worse than the 4. But I still can go all day one a single charge.

Good call Skull One, I totally should have thrown that in there.lol.

You showed the other side of the coin that I have zero experience in and it was needed. Now hopefully Iyokuu can start researching those options to make the best choice.

Iyokuu said:
And here I was told Sprint was actually fast. The A5 to me, should actually boost the speed in loading time on the 4S over the 4 if they're both on the same wifi. It feels like there is no real difference. I've never had a dropped call on my 4 and in fact I honestly have no idea what this antennae problem is I've been reading about. And I don't really use my camera for a career or anything. 5MP is just fine for personal shots of myself and friends. It still looks HD when I show it off to people.

No not really. The speed differed we are talking about is the network speed. The iPhone 4 on Verizon( like what I have) is way faster then Sprint, regardless of the phone.

When we compare speed between the 4 and 4S we are taking about the processor speed...network speed has nothing to do with that...that is all on your carrier...and Verizon is faster the Sprint. Of coarse Sprint would tell you otherwise.lol. But it is been widely spread that Sprint is very slow since the iPhone launched on there network.

The speed Skull One is talking about,...is the ctua speed of the device...not how how long it takes to load a web page, but how much faster the animations are.

For example, when you opens Settings.app when it is not in background. When you open it...you don't have instant access to all the tabs. They have to load first..all you see is the background of the application then all the tabs load. On a 4S, this would be *slightly* faster then the iPhone 4.

My friend has an iPhone 4S on Sprint and j alway throws a "so when you wanna trade phones?". The guy wants my jailbroken iPhone 4 on Verizon instead of his 4S on Sprint. Lol.

He seriously want to trade with me. Of coarse I say no thanks....When I do get a 4S, it is going to be from AT&T and im going to use it on Straight Talk. But I'm not getting a 4S until there is a bootrom exploit....which means I'm gonna stick with my iPhone 4 for a good while.

If I can't *always* have at least a tethered jailbreak then the phone is worthless to me. I choose an iPhone 4 over a 4S in a second. When a permanent iBoot level exploit is discovered and released for the 4S it will be a different story, but I don't think that is gonna happen any time soon.

I noticed a drop in speed back in November. That's when Sprints Network Vision began. After its completion, data speeds should be greatly improved, but that's August. Plus I am worried it is nothing but an empty promise. Guess we all on Sprint will see.

Sent from my iPhone 4S.

I did notice a increase in data speed after getting my replacement phone from the Apple Store yesterday though. Maybe the first run of Sprints iPhones were not up to par?

Sent from my iPhone 4S.

From my experience Sprint is much slower than Verizon and ATT. However, I am rarely out of WiFi range and when I am I really do not do any heaving surfing or loading of videos. I have been with Sprint ever since I got my first cell phone so I am getting a very good price but if I was in a situation where I needed faster speeds I would switch.

Yeah, the only reason I don't want to go back to Verizon is because my 4S is black instead of white, and it's brand new. I could easily go to Verizon and do the same thing on a new plan, but with the 5 being around the corner I would rather wait to see what thats about. Plus theres still no 4S jailbreak or any news of when it will be released!

Iyokuu said:
Yeah, the only reason I don't want to go back to Verizon is because my 4S is black instead of white, and it's brand new. I could easily go to Verizon and do the same thing on a new plan, but with the 5 being around the corner I would rather wait to see what thats about. Plus theres still no 4S jailbreak or any news of when it will be released!

The 4S jailbreak is around the corner really....but for me personally a simple temporary jailbreak is not enough for me to get a 4S. Yeah you can jailbreak but what of you have to restore? Then your screwed out of a jailbreak, which matters to me.

I will get the 4S *only* when I am able to restore to a custom iPSW that can use its SHSH blobs. And that requires a bootrom exploit....which is nowhere close to happening at all I don't think. It gonna be a while for that type of exploit.

So until I am completely *worry free* about having to restore, lose my jailbreak, then wait months for another one to comes out....I'm sticking with my iPhone 4, that I can always jailbreak notated what me iOS is released...and can also restore to whatever iOS I choose....a 4S does not give me that type of security.....so I'm not getting it till it does.

The iPhone 4S is pretty much useless to me as someone who must alway have a jailbroken iPhone. I know a lot of users don't care about that, but I happen to.

That's just how I look at it....if you care about having a jailbreak, then do not get the 4S. If your perfectly fine with Using a stock iPhone for months at a time til a jailbreak is released....and not being able to restore should you have a problem when you do finally jailbreak... then by all means....go with the iPhone 4S.

To me the 4S is not even close to worth it...not one bit....an iPhone 4 doesn't have the hardware mods, but at least I can install Siri if I really wanted to.

Having no jailbreak is killing me lol especially coming from my galaxy nexus. No sbsetting's (easy toggles) :(...... I knew coming back to the iphone there was no jailbreak for the 4s but just wanted to jump on the trade seeing as the nexus prices where already dropping.