What's new

What does the blue text message speech bubble mean?

Davies

Reaction score
Hello, out of the blue (I'm sorry) the speech bubbles on my messages have turned from green/grey to blue. Is anybody aware of what this means, if anything or does my iPhone just fancy a change?

We are guessing that it's the difference between iOS 4 and 5. iOS 4 message replies are green and 5 show as blue !

mickp said:
We are guessing that it's the difference between iOS 4 and 5. iOS 4 message replies are green and 5 show as blue !

The difference is whether or not they have iMessage.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Technically the difference is what mode of sending was used.

Green = Sent thru SMS.
Blue = Sent thru iMessage (IE the internet, which doesn't count against your SMS usage).

Which means it is possible for both people to have iMessage but because there was no internet connection to use, it will fall back to SMS.

So, if I send an IMessage, and it says delivered and is in blue, does that mean that other person's Phone is turned on? If the text turns green, does that mean that the phone is turned off?

So, if I send an IMessage, and it says delivered and is in blue, does that mean that other person's Phone is turned on? If the text turns green, does that mean that the phone is turned off?

No. Blue simply means they have iMessage enabled as well. Green means they do not have iMessage.

xrayeyes said:
No. Blue simply means they have iMessage enabled as well. Green means they do not have iMessage.

So why do the im's sometimes turn green when I know my friend has iMessage?

mkagan said:
So why do the im's sometimes turn green when I know my friend has iMessage?

It turns green when iMessage isn't available. Or your friend turns iMessage off.

When the other person is typing, does it show the the ellipsis (...) symbol?

How come when my texts come up blue u can press and hold on the text as if u want to copy and paste it and it gives u the option to "send as a text message" along with the "copy" and "paste" options? Do the texts still go thru if u don't use the "send as text message" option?

Antnee said:
How come when my texts come up blue u can press and hold on the text as if u want to copy and paste it and it gives u the option to "send as a text message" along with the "copy" and "paste" options? Do the texts still go thru if u don't use the "send as text message" option?

If its blue its an imessage, and it will go through if the receiving party has internet on their phone. If you dint have the "send as text message" option turned on, then if imessage is not available (poor internet or no internet) , message wont go through at all. Otherwise it will detect there is no internet and go through as a regular sms