What's new

What do you want to express?

ardchoille

Reaction score
I have been studying Aikido - not just the techniques but also the philosophy of the art. As I was watching a video from the home dojo in Japan, one of the Japanese masters made a comment that stuck in my brain. This comment was made with regard to testing that determines if a student was eligible to rise in rank. The comment was "what do you want to express in the timeframe you have been given?" The more I thought about that comment the more I realized that I was getting deep enough into the art to see that philosophy plays just as important a part as does the physical techniques.

What do you want to express in the timeframe you have been given? That question also applies to life itself.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I read once that we spend more than half our lives worrying about things that never happen.
I try to remember that when something is bothering me.

Is that the kind of thing you mean?

OP
ardchoille

ardchoille

Reaction score
I read once that we spend more than half our lives worrying about things that never happen.
I try to remember that when something is bothering me.

Is that the kind of thing you mean?
I took the question more to mean things like "how do you want to be remembered?" or "what kind of example do you want to set?" I feel that the world would be a much better place if everyone thought about these things before taking action.

Though the point you made is a good one and would also be worthy of philosophical discussion.

Most reactions

Latest posts