What's new

What do you think about the third-party keyboards?

DrumsOfGrohl

Staff member
Reaction score
I just got an iPhone 6, and one of the things I have been hearing about is the third-party keyboards. I downloaded Swipe and Swiftkey. Both of them seem to do pretty much the same thing...
Do you prefer one over the other?

Also, I'm still having to get used to the new style of texting; how long did it take you to get comfortable with 'swiping?' Its cool, its just taking some time to build up my muscle memory.

Hate them. I've always hated them. I'm a big fan of the apple keyboard and will always use it.

With my Android phones, I tried all kinds of 3rd aprty keyboard, but even though I've always had accuracy issues with the Android stock keyboard, but I've always preferred the stock it over any 3rd party ones.

I have downloaded Swiftkey, Swype and Touchpal and like all them...I switch among them based on mood. I do not think that the Touchpal swipe prediction is as good as Swiftkey or Swype. To me, Swiftkey has the best prediction. I also think that the 3rd party keyboard apps will continue to improve as users offer feedback to the respective devs.

I've been using SwiftKey... and it's quite nice for my typing style. The list of available 3rd party keyboards of iOS 8 is growing by the day. I did try using TouchPal also, but didn't like how the 'swype' entry responded.

Why do these keyboards fill the entire screen within browser window when in landscape?

Issue with swift key is when keyboard is showing then rotating to landscape (image attached)

...Only way I can see what I'm typing is to hold vertically. Is there a way to narrow the wide grayish bar above the keyboard where "done" is located?

Finally they allowed for third party keyboards...wonder when they'll allow for third party lock screens. The native lock screen clock just seems a lil too plain/narrow/small on such a large screen, 6+ myself. Would be nice to have a choice of lock screen clock themes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
Well I located me a great keyboard. Here is a photograph of the keyboard.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412311579.553005.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412311600.931945.jpg

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB

Can not edit. But the application costs .99 cents.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB

does it take a long time (for me, anything more than instant is pretty long) to appear?

I don't care for either. I am a fan of the Apple keyboard.
Ya this is kind of how I'm starting to feel. I kind of got caught up in the hoopla of apple announcing that third-party keyboards, so I figured there must be a really good reason why they released this feature. I'm not too impressed... yet.. I still think theres some potential, but for now, I think I'll just stick to Apple Quicktype.