What's new

What "band" am i connecting at?

Supahrob

Reaction score
Heya everyone! I searched and actually didn't see anything - so here goes:

I recently upgraded my wireless router to an "n band" router and I am wondering if there is a way (on the iPhone or even my iPad) to see if I am actually connecting on "n band."

I ask because my wifi speeds on my iPhone are not reflecting what I would expect via the n band router. My other wireless devices (laptop and such) seem to be screaming along but my poor iPad and iPhone are limping along.

Hope someone can help :)

Take care,
Rob

The iPhone 4 operates on the 802.11n at 2.4 GHz. That fastest speeds on 802.11n at at 5GHz. You can check Apple's spec page for each phone on their website. I hope that helps.

Thank you for your reply :)

I understand fully that the iPhone CAN connect on the N Band - I am just looking for a way to verify that it IS connected on the N Band - and to verify ON the iDevice itself (not the PC via the router). My router is a dual band (simulcast type), meaning that I have older devices connected on the G Band and others connected on the N Band at the same time. I know the iPhone will also connect on the G Band... and I suspect it is connecting on the G Band rather than the N Band. I don't know why it would be doing that, but I think it is.

So I guess what I am asking is: is there any way (native or app) to see the connection speed/status/etc ON THE IPHONE ITSELF :)

Take care,
Rob

Nothing native on the phone itself will allow you to check what band your phone is one. As far as apps go I'm not sure. A simple search in the app store should help. You also probably go to the setting for your router and see what devices are connected. It should show the address and the frequency as well. Also it should let you see what band is broadcasting at which frequency. If the "n" band is set at 5GHz it will not be connecting to your phone. The phone will default to the 2.4GHz band. If both are set at 2.4GHz on the router you will not likely see a difference on the phone due to its limitations.