What's new

We are new here. Requesting for your advice on our research of the iPhone & plans.

debjeff

Reaction score
Good afternoon.

We did research regarding the iPhone, data plans, wi-fi, etc. We are feeling overwhelmed and we would appreciate your inputs, corrections and/or clarify on our understanding of our research.

My situation…

A little personal infos:
We reside in the midwest, USA. We are parents with two children. Spouse has some hearing impairment. Our purposes for using iPhone 4S: Communicate within our immediate family via talk, text, iMessage & Face Time. This will help hearing impaired spouse, especially using the Face Time. Outside of our immediate family, we plan on communicating via talk & text.

Current Apple products:
We have iPad (1[SUP]st[/SUP] generation), iPod Touch (4[SUP]th[/SUP] generation) and iMac Core i7. We also have Air Port router.

Current cellphone server:
We still have Verizon service with HTC phones which our 2 years contract recently expired. We want to discontinue service with Verizon as well as avoid entering any new expensive contracts with any cell service provider.

Our plan:
We are seriously considering purchasing brand new two iPhones 4S (unlocked), possibly via Apple Website. As I mentioned, we prefer unlocked and we also prefer no new (expensive) contract.

Our research/understanding (please correct or clarify where we’re wrong):
  1. It is to our understanding that Data Plan is not necessary but wi-fi would be required.
  2. Face Time - wi-fi is required without data plan.
  3. Imessage - wi-fi is required without data plan. Plus, it only works on iPhone & iPod and not on the iMac.
  4. Mi-Fi is best used for outside of wi-fi range. We’re not yet aware of Mi-Fi alternatives. Please advise if there's alternatives.
  5. No contract talk plan (i.e. PureTalk USA) is required for talk & text).
  6. Siri - wi-fi is required without data plan.
Please advise before we order the iPhones 4S. We appreciate in your time with us.

Thanx.
Debbie & Jeff

EDIT - Forgot to mention that browsing on the internet & checking email is not our requirement but will accept if possible without data plan. Thanx

Last edited:
Is Siri a big necessity for you? You can do all you mentioned on a iPod touch 4th generation

Last edited:
Is Siri a big necessity for you? You can do all you mentioned on a iPod touch 4th generation

The iPhone would be for us (parents) because our current and old HTC phones need to be replaced. Hence asking about Siri on iPhones. It is to our understanding that Siri is included on the iPhone (did we misunderstand?).

To further clarify, our children do not need cellphones hence we'll allow them to share iPod Touch. Purpose:
parent-child communication via Face Time when they are visiting at grandparents or at friend's house.

Did we research well? Advice regarding no contract, including no contract data plans?

Thanx.
Debbie & Jeff

Well I asked due to the fact you mentioned you didn't want a plan for your iPhones. You said your current contract had ended and you didn't want another contract. Since the new iPod touch does everything the iPhone 4s does (minus calling and Siri) and you don't want a contract to use the phone. I offer you think about getting only the iPods for you and your spouse.

It's about half the price, if money isn't an option then you will be able to do everything you stated on the 4s just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Current cellphone server:
We still have Verizon service with HTC phones which our 2 years contract recently expired. We want to discontinue service with Verizon as well as avoid entering any new expensive contracts with any cell service provider.

Our plan:
We are seriously considering purchasing brand new two iPhones 4S (unlocked), possibly via Apple Website. As I mentioned, we prefer unlocked and we also prefer no new (expensive) contract.

Our research/understanding (please correct or clarify where we’re wrong):
  1. It is to our understanding that Data Plan is not necessary but wi-fi would be required.
  2. Face Time - wi-fi is required without data plan.
  3. Imessage - wi-fi is required without data plan. Plus, it only works on iPhone & iPod and not on the iMac.
  4. Mi-Fi is best used for outside of wi-fi range. We’re not yet aware of Mi-Fi alternatives. Please advise if there's alternatives.
  5. No contract talk plan (i.e. PureTalk USA) is required for talk & text).
  6. Siri - wi-fi is required without data plan.
Please advise before we order the iPhones 4S. We appreciate in your time with us.

Thanx.
Debbie & Jeff

EDIT - Forgot to mention that browsing on the internet & checking email is not our requirement but will accept if possible without data plan. Thanx
So we understand here... I'll continue my comment here w/ the assumption that you're wanting to stop using Verizon and enter some type of "Pay As You Go" cell service. What carrier are you looking to go w/ as far as cell service?

While it's not "required" for you to have a data plan... any "Pay As You Go" service will charge you for a data package once it's known you're using an iPhone/smartphone. And yes... they will know.

HazmatJeff,

Thanx for your reply. It is much appreciated!

Please see our reply within your quotes in bold red below.

Well I asked due to the fact you mentioned you didn't want a plan for your iPhones. That is our goal. You said your current contract had ended and you didn't want another contract. That would be an accurate statement. Since the new iPod touch does everything the iPhone 4s does (minus calling and Siri) and you don't want a contract to use the phone. I offer you think about getting only the iPods for you and your spouse. iPod Touch would be perfect for our kids in terms of communicating with us when they're visiting neighbor, friend & grandparents. However, we did mentioned that we (as adults/parents, not our kids) also want & need "talk" which we're assuming that a talk cell service contract would be required.

It's about half the price, if money isn't an option then you will be able to do everything you stated on the 4s just fine.

Thomasjtsi,

We also very appreciated of your reply and look forward to learning more from you and this forum's members.

Please see our replies in bold red below.

So we understand here... I'll continue my comment here w/ the assumption that you're wanting to stop using Verizon and enter some type of "Pay As You Go" cell service. That is an accurate assumption. Last we understand, Verizon do not offer no contract service. Unfortunately, AT&T is famous for dropped calls and other various problems within our city. What carrier are you looking to go w/ as far as cell service? We're researching straight talk no contract service such as "Straight Talk", "Party Talk USA", etc. At this time, we are uncertain of their reputations and we are hoping the members of this forum could offer insights.

While it's not "required" for you to have a data plan... any "Pay As You Go" service will charge you for a data package once it's known you're using an iPhone/smartphone. And yes... they will know.
While it is to our preference (& based to our knowledge) that we prefer no data plans, but we are concern about the access to wi-fi and/or hotspot access whenever we're away from home. Plus, our neighbors have locked their wi-fi, same as us. Hence, we're curious about the Mi-Fi service or similar that we may not be aware of.

Regarding Siri --- it is not our top priority. However, Siri would be a nice feature if it is available to use.

While we are not computer illiterate but we are close to being cellphone illiterate hence doing research and asking questions. For example: recently, we learned that texting did not require data plan. Therefore, we want to learn and gain better understanding so that we can purchase cellphone & service in smarter way. At this point, we definitely do not feel 100% confident on our understanding on what exactly iPhone & iPod Touch can be worked based on wi-fi, data plan, etc. With help from this forum, we'll gain better understanding when we purchase the iPhones.

We look forward to learning more from you.

Last edited:
Sorry! I never saw that you were interested in getting a voice plan. As for the rates you would have to research AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon to see which offers the best rates. I do believe most carriers require a data plan because it is a smart phone that is usually dependent on the data connection.

As far as keeping in touch with your kids, if there is wifi you can keep in contact. I believe you need to look into iTunes accounts and family options.