What's new

AT&T Allowing Some iPhone Customers to Go Back On Unlimited Data Plans

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
at_tlogo-1.png

The Wall Street Journal reports today that AT&T is still offering some iPhone customers unlimited data plans, even though it officially switched over to limited data plans last year. For some strange reason though, AT&T isn’t advertising the fact, even though this might make some of those wanting to switch to Verizon think again. Just this week, Verizon confirmed that it would be offering unlimited data bundles for a limited time, thinking that this would make switching even more attractive to AT&T customers who had reached the end of their unlimited data contracts, but it would seem that AT&T is not prepared to lose their customers without a fight.

According to the WSJ, AT&T is allowing some customers who previously had unlimited data contracts but are now on limited data contracts to switch back, including any customer that had an iPhone before last June, when AT&T’s limited data bundles were introduced. The WSJ spoke to one AT&T customer who simply had to ring up AT&T customer services and ask to be put back on an unlimited data plan to get his wish. However, when another customer on a limited plan called and asked to switch to an unlimited plan, he was refused because he had never been on an unlimited plan before, only a limited one. Confusing? A little!

Meanwhile, AT&T spokesperson Mark Siegel is not giving much away:

“We handle customers and their situations individually, and we’re not going to discuss specifics,” Siegel told The WSJ.

Which means that it might be worth giving customer services a ring if you’re an AT&T customer who’s previously been on an unlimited data plan and wants to switch back again from a limited one.

Source: A loophole means unlimited data for AT&T iPhone - WSJ.com

Yes this has been going around. I just received a call from a friend about the same thing
really AT&T won't have much choice if they plan to keep their customers.

My AT&T contract ends soon. I am looking to get my first Iphone...I am waiting to see if AT&T will change there ways and allow unlimited data?...If they won't, I for one will bail from them and go with Verizon for the unlimited data?

Yes this has been going around. I just received a call from a friend about the same thing
really AT&T won't have much choice if they plan to keep their customers.

I was thinkning the same thing. At&t may have to just give everyone unlimited. Lets face it if you're one of the poor At&t customers that can't get the unlimited data you'll likely switch when their contract is up. :facetime:

I previously had a non iPhone unlimited plan and was able to get this plan for my new iPhone 4 just this week.