What's new

Warning- Doublecheck AT&T on iMessage texts

perezr10

Reaction score
I just got my first bill from AT&T since upgrading to iOS 5 and noticed that they've charged me for a bunch of iMessage texts to other iOS 5 users.

I called AT&T and after 5 minutes of investigation, they removed all the charges. It was obvious on their end that these were iPhone to iPhone texts and should have been free.

Anyway, be sure to look at your bill this month since AT&T has a few kinks in their billing system.

Yeah iMessage should be free, no one charging for that.

Hi there-- This same thing is happening to my husband and me. We got iphone 4s's in December, and our first bill had us being charged for imessages, as if they were text messages (showing up in my AT&T bill under text messages, counting towards my 200 messages, and then being billed additionally at $.10). Those were in fact imessages, because they are blue (NOT green) and even say imessage. However in 6 calls to AT&T and 3 cases being opened about this problem, their only conclusion all three times was I must be wrong or colorblind and illiterate, that there was no way they could be imessages. My husband and I are on the same account, and they could see we both have iphone 4s's and they could see that we both were getting charged for texting each other, but they just couldn't comprehend that this could be happenning with imessages. They even tried contacting apple support with no luck. I switched my settings to not send as a text message when imessages don't go through, and it seems, fingers crossed, that this is working.

This was incredibly frustrating, and I'd like info from anyone about how they were able to convince AT&T that this was a genuine problem they were having, and what the solution may be. I have a feeling that this problem is not over, so I would love that information if anyone has it.

I have At&t and have not experienced a problem...however, we do pay the extra for unlimited texts, so thats probably why I havent had the problem.