What's new

Virus on iPhone 4S - HELP

mrsr71

Reaction score
Somehow I got a virus (?) that sent spam email link to ALL of my contacts.

How shall I handle this? Should I reset the phone? Can I restore all of the apps, contacts, bookmarks, photos, etc. via iTunes?

Thanks...

The odds of it coming from your iPhone is VERY slim. More likely it came from your email/contact hosting service. Who do you use to store all your contacts?

Not impossible but most improbable. Probably from your computer where your contacts are at as well.

My phone was on last night while I slept. The messages were sent at 3am. My contacts are in MS Outlook on a laptop which was OFF at 3am. My ISP is Earthlink.

My phone was on last night while I slept. The messages were sent at 3am. My contacts are in MS Outlook on a laptop which was OFF at 3am. My ISP is Earthlink.

OK. Call apple and make an appointment with a genus. Just because your computer was off doesn't mean that the virus wasn't launched prior to you turning off your computer for that particular time.

You have to understand that a virus written for a platform like IOS is pretty difficult to do and really not what hackers usually attack. But talk to a genus and they will give you detailed information and check your phone out as well.

OK. Call apple and make an appointment with a genus. Just because your computer was off doesn't mean that the virus wasn't launched prior to you turning off your computer for that particular time.

You have to understand that a virus written for a platform like IOS is pretty difficult to do and really not what hackers usually attack. But talk to a genus and they will give you detailed information and check your phone out as well.

I have an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow. Will report back with the findings.

Thanks...

Last edited:
Somehow I got a virus (?) that sent spam email link to ALL of my contacts.

How shall I handle this? Should I reset the phone? Can I restore all of the apps, contacts, bookmarks, photos, etc. via iTunes?

Thanks...

The phone did have a virus (for a lack of better terms) so I made a visit to the Apple Genius Bar this morning and rather than try to find the culprit, they just reset my phone to the factory settings with the new iOS 6. After that, it was just a matter of restoring it on iTunes and making some minor tweaks to get the applications back the way they were. I suggest that everyone have their contacts backed-up in iCloud. It saves a ton of work.

I do have one question: how does one set the battery logo on the home screen to show the percentage left?

Thanks..

The phone did have a virus (for a lack of better terms) so I made a visit to the Apple Genius Bar this morning and rather than try to find the culprit, they just reset my phone to the factory settings with the new iOS 6. After that, it was just a matter of restoring it on iTunes and making some minor tweaks to get the applications back the way they were. I suggest that everyone have their contacts backed-up in iCloud. It saves a ton of work.

I do have one question: how does one set the battery logo on the home screen to show the percentage left?

Thanks..
Settings > General > Usage > Battery Percentage --> switch to ON

Thanks..

Wait a second. What did you mean by "lack of a better term for it?" Either you had a virus and they told you so or they simply did a factory reset because something simply wasn't working right and causing the issue.

Using the term Virus scares a lot of people. Did they confirm you had a virus or did they say something else?

I hate it when someone runs into the theater and screams fire and it's just burnt popcorn.

Wait a second. What did you mean by "lack of a better term for it?" Either you had a virus and they told you so or they simply did a factory reset because something simply wasn't working right and causing the issue.

Using the term Virus scares a lot of people. Did they confirm you had a virus or did they say something else?

I hate it when someone runs into the theater and screams fire and it's just burnt popcorn.

He said it was a "virus" and it was a rare ocurrance. I didn't argue the fact as I had an appointment elsewhere and wanted to get to get outta there.

Last edited:
He said it was a "virus" and it was a rare ocurrance. I didn't argue the fact as I had an appointment elsewhere and wanted to get to get outta there.

OK, that's understandable. It's not the first time I've heard of a virus on the iPhone but it seems to me that it would be headline news if one was out there. Thanks for the response.

There are no viruses on the iPhone. What you may have had is a rogue app that used your address book to advertise itself. In which case another way to deal with it would have been to just uninstall the app that you were tricked into installing and giving permissions to you address book.

Viruses cannot be downloaded onto an iPhone because you can only download apps from the App Store. Not from the web.

The difference is that a virus installs itself while you download and install apps.

You can have Malware or bugs on your device by pirating and using cracked apps (don't do it, you'll be in deep deep shiznit for doing it). You can get a virus on your iPhone, but why would anyone do it since each one has to be designated for each and every individual device. Everything is sandboxed on the iPhone, and the multi-layered security in the iPhone is a brick wall. A while back, a group made a virus that infected several iOS and OSX products just to prove that it's do-able. Do-able, yes. Practical? Not really.

As I said, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a virus on an iPhone or iOS device that has not been jailbroken. It's not like you get something by visiting a web page. A rogue app is not a virus. Let's not mislead people on this. Users loading stupid things is not a virus.