What's new

Very poor battery in iPhone SE 64gb

I was speaking to Shiloh, from his comments, given how many life cycles Apple says a battery has, I can not understand how a battery used, even lightly, for a year is at 100%. I would expect it to be closer to 80% at that point. So I think we are comparing apples and oranges and I am trying to understand.

IMG_2233.PNG

I don't know near as much about the I phones as well as most of you in the group. The above screenshot showing 10% battery wear is from my older I phone 5. It's a few years old maybe. I don't recall when they were introduced. But that seems to be pretty good for a five year old phone. My new SE shows no battery wear.

I was speaking to Shiloh, from his comments, given how many life cycles Apple says a battery has, I can not understand how a battery used, even lightly, for a year is at 100%. I would expect it to be closer to 80% at that point. So I think we are comparing apples and oranges and I am trying to understand.

from what I understand Apple's expectation is that after that number of full charge cycles (or twice that number of half charge cycles, 4 times as many quarter charge cycles, etc.) that the battery will still be at 80%. My ancient 4S battery hasn't had that many recharge cycles so I haven't seen an appreciable depreciation in performance (yet). I know it's coming though [emoji25][emoji25]

I don't know how that battery life app works, but, colour me mildly sceptical. For example: When I installed it on my "new" phone, it came up with 13% degraded, then, while I was looking at it, switched to 18%. I un-installed the app from my phone, installed it on my brand-new iPad. 100%. Curious: Put it back on the phone. Back to 13%.

There are no absolutes when it comes to the number of charge cycles vs percentage of wear. How much current draw, for how long, temperature and other things affect it. I'd say if you get a new phone and are constantly drawing the battery down quickly either with apps that are battery hogs or by your usage habits, you are headed for quicker battery wear. I am the opposite. I am at home most of the time and I use my PC as much as possible. I charge my iPhone about every other day, sometimes on the third day. The battery in the iPhone SE can be replaced.

Update. My iPhone SE is now 13 months old and the Battery Life app is varying between Perfect and 1% wear. I can still get two days use per charge. It's my only phone, so it's always on and always connected to WiFi. I never use Bluetooth and I rarely play music, and no games ever. Mostly email, news apps, weather and (some) social media. No background app refresh unless an app really needs it (very few). Location services for apps that need it but only while using the app. YMMV!