What's new

Using unlocked iPhone 4 in Europe w/apps from another phone

bertsirkin

Reaction score
I love the iPhone - I hate Apple Support and iTunes!

Now that I've ranted, here's my dilemma. I have a Verizon iPhone 4 with a lot of apps. I am considering buying the unlocked GSM iPhone 4 from Apple. I will be traveling to the UK and Paris next month and Italy later. I want to be able to use all my apps in the UK and France.

I have my current iPhone 4 linked to iTunes thru a desktop computer in my home. I will be traveling with a laptop that does have iTunes on it, and I have already transferred the apps from my Verizon phone to iTunes on the laptop.

The Apple web site indicates I'll need a French iTunes account and an Orange SIM card - I can't get to the UK info, but I'm assuming I'll need a UK iTunes account as well.

Here's my questions:

• What will the complications (if any) be of having 3-iTunes accounts (US, UK and French) and can they be linked?
  • Will the apps from my Verizon phone be available to me on the unlocked iPhone when I sync with a single laptop computer?
FWIW, Apple pre-sales support had no clue, and Apple tech support didn't want to talk to me because my current iPhone is out of warranty. The Apple support web site constantly hangs up my computers (3-different computers)!

TIA,
Bert

I'm having 4 different iTunes accounts: America, Australia, China, France. I have apps downloaded and install on my iPhone from each one of those store, they all work well and same for the apps updates. There is no way fir it to get messy, unless you mess thing up yourself.

I'm having 4 different iTunes accounts: America, Australia, China, France. I have apps downloaded and install on my iPhone from each one of those store, they all work well and same for the apps updates. There is no way fir it to get messy, unless you mess thing up yourself.

If I buy the unlocked GSM iPhone 4, I won't be able to use it until I get to the UK (I'm on a CDMA Verizon network in the US). So, the first time I'll set up the new iTunes account, will be the first time that phone will be used. Will I be able to load the apps on the GSM phone that I've bought on my CDMA iPhone from the US iTunes account?

thanks,
bert

If I buy the unlocked GSM iPhone 4, I won't be able to use it until I get to the UK (I'm on a CDMA Verizon network in the US). So, the first time I'll set up the new iTunes account, will be the first time that phone will be used. Will I be able to load the apps on the GSM phone that I've bought on my CDMA iPhone from the US iTunes account?

thanks,
bert

It doesn't matter what carrier you are on, CDMA, GSM, whatever, you can use the same account apps on 5 or 7 differents iDevices provide that those apps support the iDevice on which you want to install the application. iTunes account has nothing to do with your carrier.