What's new

Using Someone elses Apple Id

langaan

Reaction score
So heres my question...for one reason or antoher my apple id is disabled and don't have the patience or time to deal with support today. but I need my phone... I have read a lot about imessages and emails getting all mixed up when you share apple ids or icloud or whatever, so my questions is this: We both have our own individual iphone 5, individual phone numbers and individual apple ids for icloud and for iTunes. so If I sign out of my apple id on my phone, and sign into her apple id, will everything on my phone work? and more importantly, will I see her imessages? will she see mine or have any of my info whatsoever? all I would be doing is signing out of my apple id and signing in to hers but I do not want to create a mess

I feel that two different people using the same Apple ID on two phones would indeed create a mess. All data would be sync'd to both phones so you both would eventually "bump" into each other when interacting with the cloud. This may also create problems during backups.

It would be beneficial for both of you if you took the time to resolve problems with your Apple ID.

My gf and I share apple I'ds plus I have my own for games and iCloud Game center etc, never any issues

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net
Edit: never any issues as long as I remember to sign out of hers and back into mine before opening games etc.

Last edited:
My gf and I share apple I'ds plus I have my own for games and iCloud Game center etc, never any issues

Edit: never any issues as long as I remember to sign out of hers and back into mine before opening games etc.

So, if she creates a contact or calendar event on her phone, and you delete it from your phone, doesn't she get upset when her contact or calendar was deleted and she didn't delete it?

I use the same Apple ID on more than one iOS device and sync'ing would definitely be a problem with sharing Apple ID's. I can remove a contact, email, safari bookmark, or calendar event from my phone and it's also removed from my iPad. I would think this would be a problem for two people sharing the same Apple ID on different iOS devices.

So, if she creates a contact or calendar event on her phone, and you delete it from your phone, doesn't she get upset when her contact or calendar was deleted and she didn't delete it?

I use the same Apple ID on more than one iOS device and sync'ing would definitely be a problem with sharing Apple ID's. I can remove a contact, email, safari bookmark, or calendar event from my phone and it's also removed from my iPad. I would think this would be a problem for two people sharing the same Apple ID on different iOS devices.

It is a pain when that happens. I have my apple id in our ipad mini but we use her apple id for apps because she bought more stuff for our son than I did. Wife has specific instructions to not delete anything or face my wrath. She made a bookmark in the wrong folder once, hasn't done that again. Honestly I'm not sure how people with 4-5 devices do it. In our family we have 3 different ids, my wife's, my older sons, and mine and that in itself has proven to be enough of a nightmare for me to manage.

If I had to do it over again I think I would have setup a group id and used that for all apps, music etc and then give everyone their own for the contacts/calendar/cloud stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is a pain when that happens. I have my apple id in our ipad mini but we use her apple id for apps because she bought more stuff for our son than I did. Wife has specific instructions to not delete anything or face my wrath. She made a bookmark in the wrong folder once, hasn't done that again. Honestly I'm not sure how people with 4-5 devices do it. In our family we have 3 different ids, my wife's, my older sons, and mine and that in itself has proven to be enough of a nightmare for me to manage.

If I had to do it over again I think I would have setup a group id and used that for all apps, music etc and then give everyone their own for the contacts/calendar/cloud stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, it sounds like you're managing things rather well. I will admit "do this or else face my wrath" is indeed an incentive to follow her instructions.. kudos to you for respecting that. And, you can always compensate her monetarily for any apps/songs/videos you want to buy.

Generally it's not an issue as long as you turn off all syncing features off on your device. Ideally as we all know, it's best to have individualized Apple IDs when it comes to personal matters like app purchases, iMessages, iCloud etc. The biggest concern you'd have would be that your data suddenly wipes out the other person's data, but as long as you turn syncing off, iCloud backing up off, etc etc, that shouldn't be a problem

No our contacts, calendars, safari are separate all seperate mine syncs to my iCloud and hers syncs to hers the only thing we share are paid apps and music. iCloud is turned on on both phones with no crossing over