What's new

Apple ID Different from iCloud ID

abredt

Reaction score
When I first set up my phone - while on the phone with Verizon tech - he had me put in an Apple ID and then a different iCloud ID. Both are set to my different email addresses.
When I sign onto iCloud on my Windows PC, it asks for my Apple ID, then tells me it is not a valid ID, so I have to enter my iCloud ID.

Not a terribly big deal, but I wonder if it will cause problems in the future by having them different.

I'm also wondering why the IDs are supposed to be in the form of email addresses??
cb

Apple ID is the generic name but most often the ID used in the App Store. iCloud ID is used by iMessage and for other iCloud storage reasons. They can be the same or different.

If you want different people or devices to have different contact sharing, note sharing, iMessages, etc then you will want different iCloud IDs. Multiple family members can share apps with the sane iTunes Apple ID

When I am asked for my Apple ID sometimes it wants the Apple ID and sometimes it wants the icloud ID.
I tried to change the Apple ID to be the same as the icloud ID, but it says it is already in use.

What a pain!! Is there any way I can change it?
cb

contact apple tech support they can do anything for you as long as the item asnt been reported stolen or owt ,theyl want a serial number or imei off u for the device