What's new

Using Skype on the iPhone 4

Tricon7

Reaction score
By downloading the Skype app, how much are the calls to non-Skype-users? Would I eat up my minutes if I, say, used Skype to call my brother in a different state who doesn't use it and who doesn't use Verizon like me? If the charge for Skype-to-non-Skype calls is just pennies a minute, it seems I could plan to use up all my paid-for minutes, then use Skype to make any additional calls for the month. I could also use it to make video calls to anyone at super-cheap rates - again, as long as it doesn't eat into my monthly minutes.

Could someone familiar with it tell me if I'm right or wrong on any of this?

Why don't you login to youe skype, go to "my info" tab, and then tap on "skype creadit" right from your phone, you will be able to see all needed informations by your self.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should check the rates quoted on Skypes website, however the calls are at a tiny price, on certain plans they can be 1.4 cent per miniute. Hope this helps. P.s. I am running a YouTube series where i review the best new applications on the app store every wednesday. I just thought you might be interested. Here is the link. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNkYeayUqNM]YouTube - ‪Best Free Apps For iPhone - 25 May 2011‬‏[/ame]

I have the unlimited data plan on mine, but I never use it for Skype video calls. Skype mobile is absolutely terrible for video calling right now. I tried once and it the video was seizure inducing erratic.

I had video calls over 3G from Russia to Miami, and over WiFi from Russia to Canada. When on WiFi no problems with video at all, but on 3G video is horrible. Audio works fine over 3G and EDGE. Keep in mind I have unlimited data plan but after 5 MB/hour it goes down to 64 kbit/sec for the rest of that hour. Also, I'm not sure skype allows you to talk on your headset, just the loud speaker, and loud speaker isn't loud enough in city conditions.

You must launch skype everytime you boot your iphone. I use backgrounder, and have the skype set for backgrounding, and am shown an icon over skype which indicates skype is running in background.

Does your brother have a smart phone as well? If you and he install app called Viber, you could both make free VoIP calls to each other.