What's new

Skype and billing issues

Tricon7

Reaction score
So if I understand it right, to use Skype I would open the app and using it, make a call through the Internet - not using my Verizon minutes. I could still call a non-Verizon, non-Skype person who is using a land-line, and I would only be charged something like two or four cents a minute? Is this correct? How does Skype arrange billing for this?

If I'm doing a Skype-to-Skype call, both people are online and using their Skype app, correct? If so, I don't think I know enough people who both have Skype and are able to get online at the same time as me (at work, for example). So I think the vast majority of my Skype calls would be charged.

Skype on your phone work just like the one installedon your computer, and the calling rate skype to a phone number is the same as from your phone as from your computer. There is a skype website which clearly talk about the difference between countries call rates. On your phone or on your computer skype, try to make a phone call, skype will tell you that you need to buy credits, ok, it will then take you to a page with all credits, rates, etc information page. There you will find whatever info you are after.

What about your phone number? I have my iPhone #, but if I'm using Skype and call someone, what phone number will they see? And can someone call me through Skype from a non-Skype #, and if so, what phone number will they call? I didn't see anything at Skype's website about being assigned a different phone number. That would be problematic - having two different phone numbers; one for your iPhone and one for your Skype account.

Skype installed in your phone has nothing to do with your phone number. Do you have a phone number in your computer? No, but you are still capable of calling using skype services since you have credits. What number do you think will appear in you contact phone when you are calling him on skype using your computer? That same number will appear on your contact phone when you using your phone to call him via skype.

Skype installed in your phone has nothing to do with your phone number. Do you have a phone number in your computer? No, but you are still capable of calling using skype services since you have credits. What number do you think will appear in you contact phone when you are calling him on skype using your computer? That same number will appear on your contact phone when you using your phone to call him via skype.

After some online research, it appears that I would have to buy an online phone number to use with Skype, so I would have two phone numbers - one that Verizon assigned to me, and one that Skype assigns to me. If this is the case, I could just completely drop my phone plan with Verizon and keep the Data plan for Internet, since I would never need the Verizon minutes. I also understand that Skype requires a WiFi connection to place calls, so my Verizon 3G network couldn't be used, which is a bummer. Also, to buy a Skype phone number is at least $18/yr. So much for Skype being "free."

Last edited: