What's new

Using iphone abroad

bakes29

Reaction score
Hi I'm going to Turkey at end of April and would like to take my iPhone 4 with me, but do not want to come back to a huge bill.
I know I've got to turn roaming off and 3G anything else??
Also if I used whatsapp will this b free as it is here?
My hotel has free wifi
Any help much appreciated.

Here's what I did while travelling in the US for 3 weeks in March. I'm from Manitoba and have an iPhone4S.
Turn 3G and Cellular Data off (General - Newtwork).
Turn Airplane Mode on. This turns Wi-Fi off, but you can then turn Wi-Fi on while still in Airplane Mode.
With Airplane on and Wi-Fi on, internet browsing worked fine.

Texting/iMessaging was a problem. Sometimes it worked. And I have not yet received my bill for this 3 week period.
When I attempted to use text/imessage I would get an error message: "Must turn airplane mode
off". I gave up on texting/iMessage and just used email.

For voice calls, I used the MagicJack iPhone app. Sometimes it worked great, mostly not. My friend also used MagicJack in the US and got a $175 LD/Roaming bill. Not sure why, still working on it.

>I know I've got to turn roaming off and 3G anything else??
Afaik, there is no Voice Roaming on/off option, just Airplane Mode.

With Verizon there is an option to turn off Voice and Data Roaming.

Settings>General>Network>Roaming>Voice and Data

I'm going to travel to Italy in September and am planning on taking my phone. Will probably keep it in airplane mode and wifi on as suggested. But, I'll also turn off roaming just to make sure! LOL!

Last edited:
Id do what 001fred done, its a great idea
001fred said:
Here's what I did while travelling in the US for 3 weeks in March. I'm from Manitoba and have an iPhone4S.
Turn 3G and Cellular Data off (General - Newtwork).
Turn Airplane Mode on. This turns Wi-Fi off, but you can then turn Wi-Fi on while still in Airplane Mode.
With Airplane on and Wi-Fi on, internet browsing worked fine.

Texting/iMessaging was a problem. Sometimes it worked. And I have not yet received my bill for this 3 week period.
When I attempted to use text/imessage I would get an error message: "Must turn airplane mode
off". I gave up on texting/iMessage and just used email.

For voice calls, I used the MagicJack iPhone app. Sometimes it worked great, mostly not. My friend also used MagicJack in the US and got a $175 LD/Roaming bill. Not sure why, still working on it.

>I know I've got to turn roaming off and 3G anything else??
Afaik, there is no Voice Roaming on/off option, just Airplane Mode.