What's new

Abroad and still receiving calls

Ninety5eclipz

Reaction score
Hello. I am currently on vacation in Germany with my wife. We both have iphone 5s with AT&T. Mine is unlocked using Vodafone SIM. Hers is not unlocked. I have her cellular, 3G and roaming turned off so we don't incur any unwanted charges. Funny thing is she is still receiving phone calls and messages from the USA. Should this be possible with these settings turned off?! i don't want to put it into airplane mode because I want her to be able to use wifi since my Vodafone SIM has unlimited data and she can tether to me. Short of removing her AT&T SIM is there something I'm over-looking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello. I am currently on vacation in Germany with my wife. We both have iphone 5s with AT&T. Mine is unlocked using Vodafone SIM. Hers is not unlocked. I have her cellular, 3G and roaming turned off so we don't incur any unwanted charges. Funny thing is she is still receiving phone calls and messages from the USA. Should this be possible with these settings turned off?! i don't want to put it into airplane mode because I want her to be able to use wifi since my Vodafone SIM has unlimited data and she can tether to me. Short of removing her AT&T SIM is there something I'm over-looking? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can put your iPhone in airplane mode, then turn on WiFi. This will ensure that nothing is received via the cellular system.

Hello. I am currently on vacation in Germany with my wife. We both have iphone 5s with AT&T. Mine is unlocked using Vodafone SIM. Hers is not unlocked. I have her cellular, 3G and roaming turned off so we don't incur any unwanted charges. Funny thing is she is still receiving phone calls and messages from the USA. Should this be possible with these settings turned off?! i don't want to put it into airplane mode because I want her to be able to use wifi since my Vodafone SIM has unlimited data and she can tether to me. Short of removing her AT&T SIM is there something I'm over-looking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desabling 3G and Data Roaming only restricts data services (desabling 3G only makes data slower); you will still receive phone calls. Just "slide" the menu from the bottom of the screen, select Airplane Mode and then WiFi to enable it to connect to your shared/tethered data plan.

Enjoy your vacations!!!