What's new

Using a family member's upgrade, can I....

mpetruzz

Reaction score
I'm on my brother in laws family plan as an additional line cause he gets a sick discount from his job. Anyways, he has an upgrade on his line that he is going to let me use to get the iPhone.

I have a My Verizon account. I know that you have to have one in order to per-order the iPhone on the 3rd.

My question is, can I pre-order the iPhone or will he have to do it because technically it's his line.

Thanks!

I think he would have to order the phone on the line he intends to upgrade. Once he gets the phone, he can give it to you to activate. His contract will extend or renew for 2 years. If you are on his family plan it's easier. If he is upgrading a dumb phone to get the iphone they may make him keep the data plan even though he is not using a smart phone (i think).

I'm going to steal my dad's upgrade to get my iphone LOL. He is fine with it, he understands the craze that is iphone.

Your brother in law would need to go visit his account on verizonwireless online. You can click the "upgrade a device" and there it shows all the phones on the account. Next to each one is a link to tranfer the upgrade to another phone. You click it and choose your phone, then upgrade. It's that simple.

I believe we might have to wait and do this when we order the iphone, it let me save it tranferred to my phone but i dont think it actually save saves until go in, tranfer it and order the actual phone but i could be wrong.

You can also just order it for his phone and when it arrives you can call Vz customer service and they can switch the numbers to the correct phones over the phone. But that is the more difficult option.

^^^^^^
You can not do the first option you have stated. VZW said buddy upgrade won't be allowed for the iphone until a later date.

So you will both you and mpetruzz will have to order to iphone online on the number that has the upgrade. Once it arrives at your house or you go to pick it up you will have to transfer the number over like you said in the second option. Its really not hard/difficult at all and it can be done online/on the phone

^^^^^^
You can not do the first option you have stated. VZW said buddy upgrade won't be allowed for the iphone until a later date.

So you will both you and mpetruzz will have to order to iphone online on the number that has the upgrade. Once it arrives at your house or you go to pick it up you will have to transfer the number over like you said in the second option. Its really not hard/difficult at all and it can be done online/on the phone

This is correct. That's what they told us calling last week. Really not hard to do at all.

I really wonder how hard it's really gonna be due to the fact thet there is no sim card and the phone (at least the gsm version) has to be activated in itunes prior to the carrier. Sounds like its gonna be a pain in the butt!

I'm sure there will be something you use on the iphone itself for verizons website for iphone users. Like for instance..

if you go to activate a new phone right now on verizons site you need its cereal number or whatever, I'm sure we will use the iphones thing on the back of the phone as that number

Yeah, I just went onto his "My Verizon" page. There is a button flashing saying upgrade phone. I'm assuming that on the 3rd I can click that and select the iPhone. I'll just transfer the phone over to me online.