What's new

Using 3gs as a prepaid phone

klw91

Reaction score
Hello. I am technologically challenged so I'm going to apologize in advance. I have an iPhone 3GS that I'm not using and want to know if I can somehow turn it into a PREPAID phone. It was jailbroken using redsnow and it's iOS 5.0.1 (9A405), firmware 05.16.05. In reading some of the other questions on this forum it seems like I need to begin by unlocking it. If that's correct, can anyone please tell me where to begin and then what else I need to do? Thank you!

Hi there

Yes you need to unlock it, and to do that you need to install ipad baseband on it.

You will need to restore your iphone through itunes and then download redsn0w 0.9.10b4 and jailbreak it (ticking both "install cydia" and "install ipad baseband" when the box comes up mid-jailbreak)
And then when its done, you have to go to cydia-manage-sources-edit-add and add this repo in the little box:
Http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com and hit add
And then once its added, you click return to cydia and do a search for ultrasn0w and install it.

And you have an unlocked phone :)

Let me know if you need anything else

By the way, just making sure, your phone is over a year old correct?

Thank you! Yes, it is over a year old. I won't have access to a computer until tomorrow so I will try all of this then. Do you mind if I bug you again if I have problems/questions?

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but then how do I go about making it prepaid? Are there providers that allow me to do that or is there something else I need to do to accomplish this??? Sorry to be a pain.

klw91 said:
Thank you! Yes, it is over a year old. I won't have access to a computer until tomorrow so I will try all of this then. Do you mind if I bug you again if I have problems/questions?

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but then how do I go about making it prepaid? Are there providers that allow me to do that or is there something else I need to do to accomplish this??? Sorry to be a pain.

No problem whatsoever.

And all you do is go out and buy yourself a prepaid sim card lol :) all there is to it :)

Anything ya need Pm

iMarilina said:
No problem whatsoever.

And all you do is go out and buy yourself a prepaid sim card lol :) all there is to it :)

Anything ya need Pm

Ok. Thanks so much for your help!

If you get a prepaid sim for the network it is on already you won't need to unlock it.

enots27 said:
If you get a prepaid sim for the network it is on already you won't need to unlock it.

Oh so since it was AT&T, I can just get a prepaid AT&T sim? Way easier...thanks! Don't know how you guys know this stuff, but glad you do!!!

When you get the prepaid sim. You will most Likely need to contact AT&T to tell them it's in an iPhone to make sure you have the correct data package.

Oh so since it was AT&T, I can just get a prepaid AT&T sim? Way easier...thanks! Don't know how you guys know this stuff, but glad you do!!!

Well of course you won't need to unlock it if you get the same carrier's prepaid package.

Would have thought it would be a given but I guess not lol.