What's new

Use ipod like a phone or buy iphone?

Grimreaper

Reaction score
I know there are a ton of apps that let you call and text over wifi, But would it be easy enough to get a calling and texting app, Jailbreak it and get a mobile hotspot app or whatever so you can get wifi where ever, Or would I be better off getting an iphone and saving myself the hassle?
Money isn't a HUGE deal, But the more I can save the better, So I was just wondering.

I think if money isn't a huge deal and you want to be able to send and receive calls and texts *at all times* you will be very unhappy with just the ipod+wifi.

I think if money isn't a huge deal and you want to be able to send and receive calls and texts *at all times* you will be very unhappy with just the ipod+wifi.

But by jailbreaking and downloading a certain app aren't you able to get wifi where ever you go?

Get the iPhone. You won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought an iPod 4th gen 64 gig, thinking I could use it to learn iOS, but I ended up not liking how slender it is, and I really wanted to experience the iPhone. Luckily, someone on Twitter had an iP4 for sale, and I swapped between it and a Droid X on Verizon. No longer have VZW, but I still use both phone on WiFi.
Now what's this about WiFi wherever one goes?

Grimreaper said:
But by jailbreaking and downloading a certain app aren't you able to get wifi where ever you go?

No.

There is no such thing as an app that can give you wifi wherever you go.

The tweak you are probably referring to us called TetherMe.

What that tweak does is turn an *iphone* into wi hotspot.

But it's not really wifi. It takes the cellular data from the phone and broadcast it as a wifi hotspot so other users can connect, and be tethered to the phone and use its data through a wifi connection.

This cannot be done on an iPod. Impossible.

1) iPods do not have cellular data...so Installing *any* kind of tethering tweak on an iPod would be 100% pointless...it doesn't have any data to broadcast.

2) you could never use an iPod as a reliable phone. A phone can call and text anyone *anywhere* provided it is activated on a cellular network...like AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, etx.

iPods cannot do *anything* like that unless they are in a particular area that has wifi.

So the answer is no...you cannot use an iPod as a standard reliable means of mobile communication.

I suggest you actually buy an iPhone.

A little tip...don't get Sprint...slowest data speeds of them all...well Sprint and Virgin Mobile are anyway.

Calling and text messaging (anytime, anywhere) using an iPhone is more convenient than iPod. It's like a mixture of iPod and iPad, sans the inconvenience of using the iPod as a phone and carrying the bulky iPad! You'll love iPhone, for sure!