What's new

Upgraded to 8.2 - Lost Mail

NoBite

Reaction score
Just upgraded iPhone 6 and iPad2 to IOS a 8.2. Now both devices no longer recognize my incoming mail server. I checked the user name and P-word and they are correct (and unchanged). Why? How to fix?

Have you tried resetting the iPhone and iPad? Press and hold both the home and power buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release both buttons and wait for the devices to restart.

Yep, first thing I did with both. [emoji106] I also sent a test email to my local ISP mail account from my apple mail account. Surprisingly, my iPhone received that test email and then showed three other incoming emails. But, the iPad did not show that test email or any other incoming email in the local ISP mail since the upgrade.

Have you tried deleting the email accounts from both devices then re-installing them?

Okay, without doing anything (except sending that test email) my iPhone local mail account is now working. I did reinstall the account on my iPad2. It took forever as it did not want to authenticate the account. Repeatedly timed out. But, finally, it worked and now that mail account is receiving and sending mail.

If I read the notes correctly, one item that 8.2 addresses is Mail. I have no idea why this account was rejected by both devices suddenly, after working with no hesitation for a long time. I am just as confounded as to why the iPhone suddenly then started to work with no corrective action on my part. That both devices now recognize the mail account is good, of course.

Apple had a bunch of services down yesterday for some reason (they won't say why). I wonder if Apple is running the mail apps through their server (for some nefarious reason) and today it's working. Hmmmm... Why would Apple want to cache my E-mails???

Apple had a bunch of services down yesterday for some reason (they won't say why). I wonder if Apple is running the mail apps through their server (for some nefarious reason) and today it's working. Hmmmm... Why would Apple want to cache my E-mails???
Apple does not run people's mail apps through its servers for any purposes, nefarious or otherwise. Apple HAS released a statement as to what caused the major iTunes outage yesterday. It was caused by an internal DNS error. Here's a news article about it. Some Apple services suffering outages