What's new

Upgraded to 5.0.1

SomberHaris

Reaction score
Hey there.
I finally updated my iPhone4 Factory Unlocked to 5.0.1 with the help of a friend, I had the firmware downloaded from iTunes.
On his guidance I clicked on restore and upgraded the firmware from 4.1 to 5.0.1

It gave me an error but it did upgrade to the latest firmware.
I just gave it a look. Everything's okay for now I guess.

But should I go for a restore again?

Also my modem firmware changed, that doesn't effect/change anything right?

Sorry for being such a noob.
I hope to hear from you guys.

Last edited:
What was the error? That the current device is not eligible for upgrade?
If the phone works with the update on the phone, why bother restoring again? Dodge a bullet once.

What was the error? That the current device is not eligible for upgrade?
If the phone works with the update on the phone, why bother restoring again? Dodge a bullet once.

The error was something like 'Failed to upgrade to a new firmware' but it did upgrade.

But its on iOS 5.0.1 right now and my firmware changed (It's factory unlocked) does that change anything?

I upgraded to 5.0.1 a few days ago, jailbroke and unlocked it without any problem. Here's my suggestion:

Instead of using the firmware from iTunes, you use a custom firmware that can be jailbroken and unlocked easily.

For this you use Sn0wbreeze which is capable of making a custom firmware and jailbreak it. Download the latest version of Sn0wbreeze (2.9.1) from here:

iH8sn0w.com

After installing the program you'll see a link within it to download the firmware. Do it. Next, you can follow the guide below to make a custom firmware.

How To Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 On Windows Using Sn0wbreeze 2.8b11 [Guide] | Redmond Pie

REMEBER: In step 4 of the guide you should go to "Expert Mode" and check the box "unlock the device (hacktivate)". This will make sure that after installing the custom iOS you'll be able to use ultrasn0w to unlock your phone.

You can find the process of using ultrasn0w in the link below:
iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock the iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G Using UltraSn0w

ALSO REMEMBER: Since 5.0.1 is still the latest iOS, you don't need to use TinyUmbrella (A lot of ppl will be suggesting that to you). Lastly, you can use the link below to get an understanding of the error codes:

iTunes Errors - The iPhone Wiki

Best of luck !

iPhone Tutorials

I upgraded to 5.0.1 a few days ago, jailbroke and unlocked it without any problem. Here's my suggestion:

Instead of using the firmware from iTunes, you use a custom firmware that can be jailbroken and unlocked easily.

For this you use Sn0wbreeze which is capable of making a custom firmware and jailbreak it. Download the latest version of Sn0wbreeze (2.9.1) from here:

iH8sn0w.com

After installing the program you'll see a link within it to download the firmware. Do it. Next, you can follow the guide below to make a custom firmware.

How To Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 On Windows Using Sn0wbreeze 2.8b11 [Guide] | Redmond Pie

REMEBER: In step 4 of the guide you should go to "Expert Mode" and check the box "unlock the device (hacktivate)". This will make sure that after installing the custom iOS you'll be able to use ultrasn0w to unlock your phone.

You can find the process of using ultrasn0w in the link below:
iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock the iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G Using UltraSn0w

ALSO REMEMBER: Since 5.0.1 is still the latest iOS, you don't need to use TinyUmbrella (A lot of ppl will be suggesting that to you). Lastly, you can use the link below to get an understanding of the error codes:

iTunes Errors - The iPhone Wiki

Best of luck !

iPhone Tutorials

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a look.
Also I dont need to unlock my iPhone since it's factory unlocked.