What's new

updating iphone 4s 4.1 to 6.1.3

Smileyman56

Reaction score
I have a jailbroken iphone 4s running 4.(something) and I was wondering how/ how difficult it would be to update it to ios 6.1.3? And technically keep the jailbreak if possible. If not then what to use to back up my cydia apps. Assuming i can't keep the jailbreak, Is it as simple as downloading the ipsw and alt + right clicking update/restore the phone and clicking on the ipsw that I downloaded? Thanks in advance

It's not possible to update to iOS 6.1.3. The latest software for the iPhone 4s is 8.3, which is the only one you'll be able to install on your iPhone.

I'm afraid that it's impossible to upgrade to iOS 6.1.3. You'll have to upgrade to iOS 8.3 or stay where you are. Apple stopped signing iOS 8.2 yesterday so that's out of the question as well.

There's no way to upgrade to any other iOS version because Apple is only signing iOS 8.3. Part of the upgrade process is an online verification with Apple servers and if they detect that you're trying to install an unsigned version of iOS, the update will fail. There are no workarounds that will allow you to bypass this online verification.

Even if I use tinyumbrella or whatever its called? For instance, how do people downgrade?

They can't downgrade any more. As scifan57 explained:
During the process of "updating" your iPhone, iTunes connects to Apple's servers. The software has to be verified by Apple. If it's the wrong version, like 6.1.3, iTunes will send you an error.
You'll only be able to install 8.3 on your iPhone, that's the only signed software version for your device. Everything else won't work.