What's new

Updating ios 8

Superior07

Reaction score
My laptop is broken, so i cant update my iphone through itunes. So is it okay to update my phone in regular computer shops? Does updating ios requires wifi or is router connection enough?

Iphone 5s
Ios 7.1.2

You don't need iTunes to install updates.

You don't have wifi at home?

My laptop is broken, so i cant update my iphone through itunes. So is it okay to update my phone in regular computer shops? Does updating ios requires wifi or is router connection enough?

Iphone 5s
Ios 7.1.2
All you need to update to iOS 8.3 OTA is a strong internet connection, either cellular or WiFi. Go to Settings>General>Software Update and tap the Diwnload button.

You don't need iTunes to install updates.

You don't have wifi at home?
I have but it takes too long, last night i tried to update it through wifi but after 4hrs of waiting it failed and said to try again, updating in itunes is much easier and faster though.

All you need to update to iOS 8.3 OTA is a strong internet connection, either cellular or WiFi. Go to Settings>General>Software Update and tap the Diwnload button.
Yes i know that but i find updating in itunes is much easier and less hassle.

If you use another computer to update your iPhone, you'll have to install iTunes and authorize the computer, then de-authorize it after the update.

I have but it takes too long, last night i tried to update it through wifi but after 4hrs of waiting it failed and said to try again, updating in itunes is much easier and faster though.
Do you have a friend or relation whose wifi you could use perhaps?

From iOS 7.1.2, it's better to update to 8.3 via iTunes. That may be the reason why it failed via Wi-Fi only. iOS 8 was a huge update, not only because of the features.

Last edited: