What's new

Unlocking my Iphone 3GS - Your my only hope.

big_dave501

Reaction score
Hi guys, I know this may very well have been discussed at length and that this puts me in the position of not being very well received. However, I am on holiday in Aus and internet aint cheap! So I was hoping for some lee-way and even if your short with me all replies are very welcome.

In essence, I have an Iphone 3GS iv brought with me from home. I left the sim card at home because my sister is going to use the remainder of my contract. I now find myself wanting to get an Aus simcard to use in the phone however its locked to O2 (UK). I just went into a local phone store and the woman told me she couldnt unlock me (version 4.2.1 (8C148a)).

Basically, is there anyway to unlock my phone? O2 let me do it through them but I need to connect to Itunes to authorise the event which is proving more troublesome than one would think without my own laptop with me.

As mentioned the 3GS is on version 4.2.1 (8C148a) and the Carrier is O2 9.1 and Modem Firmware is 05.15.04. Not sure if any more information than this is needed? Hopefully some one can give me some advice as it would be really handy to be able to fire an aus sim in this thing! The woman told me she can jailbreak my phone for me so if this forms part of a solution it is a definate possibility!

Thanks in advance, I know im not playing by normal forum rules but id burn a hole in my pocket!

Cheers

You will need to jailbreak you phone first then you can update your baseband to the iPad version to be able to unlock your phone.

Its much safer and easier to get o2 to unlock it for you if they are willing to to that. What's the problem with itunes..?

How to Update & Jailbreak iPhone 3GS / 3G Baseband to 06.15.00 with Redsn0w 0.9.6b5 for iOS 4.2.1 Unlock | Redmond Pie

go there, they shows you step by step on how to get your phone unlock

but basically first you have to upgrade your baseband to the ipad

you have to download
redsn0w_win_0.9.6b5
open up and go to google and find the file below
iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a_Restore.ipsw

after you done jailbreaking and upgrading to the ipad firmware
Cydia should be on your iphone screen
go into Cydia and search for Ultrasn0w "this is the app to get your phone unlock"

once you put that baseband on there you cant downgrade it and put the iphone baseband back