What's new

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

I have tried this but not sure I really understand what you mean when you say "If you are using Windows and Internet Explorer, make sure you rename the file back to have an extension of IPSW if it gets renamed with ZIP. This is a fault of Windows and IE. Do NOT extract the ZIP file :)". I have downloaded the software twice and when I hold the shift and click restore in itunes, it doesnt see the folder with the firmware in it. What am I doing wrong? I didn't see where it renamed the file with ZIP but it was a zipped folder that it put it in. I downloaded it again and added .ipsw to the file name and itunes saw it then but I got an error when I tried to use it. Please make this clearer for a dummy.

I have tried this but not sure I really understand what you mean when you say "If you are using Windows and Internet Explorer, make sure you rename the file back to have an extension of IPSW if it gets renamed with ZIP. This is a fault of Windows and IE. Do NOT extract the ZIP file :)". I have downloaded the software twice and when I hold the shift and click restore in itunes, it doesnt see the folder with the firmware in it. What am I doing wrong? I didn't see where it renamed the file with ZIP but it was a zipped folder that it put it in. I downloaded it again and added .ipsw to the file name and itunes saw it then but I got an error when I tried to use it. Please make this clearer for a dummy.

No, it's IE's output. If you run any other browser, it comes out as an IPSW file. IE is the only browser that changes the extension to a ZIP file.

If you're on Windows Vista or 7, enable file extension viewing of all files (including known files) so that you can change the extension to an IPSW if needed.

So, I'm thinking that it would it be better to use Google Chrome then since IE changes it to a zip file. I will try that tonight when I get home. Thanks.

OK, I downloaded the IOS firmware using Google Chrome so it wouldnt change the file and it still won't work. When I click shift and restore in itunes, it tells me "The iphone "iphone" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible" - what did I do wrong? I thought I followed all of the directions but apparently I did something wrong. If I ever get this fixed, I will never do another update on my phone again!!!!!

As it says, your ipsw doesn't match that of your device. Which device do you have. iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S or 5. CDMA or GSM.

I have an iphone 4 but not sure what CDMA or GSM is but I'm guessing it's CDMA. If it helps this phone is an AT&T phone but I get service through Straightalk now.

To differentiate the iPhone 4 from GSM and CDMA, look for the SIM tray on the right side of the device. If there's a SIM tray, it's GSM. If there isn't, it's CDMA. Since you're on Straight Talk, which uses a SIM, you have a GSM iPhone 4, meaning you should be downloading the iPhone3,1_6.1.2 IPSW.

Link is here

I downloaded the iphone 4 6.1.2 from your link and itunes acted like it was going to restore but it didnt take long and I got an error that said "The iphone could not be stored. An unexpected error occurred 3148, so then I downloaded the firmware 6.0.1 because I'm pretty sure that's what I had before I did the update and itunes really acted like it was going to restore it, I mean it took forever for it to finally pop up an error and that was error 1601. The 1601 error has to do with the USB and it said to try other ports and restart itunes and do it again which I did for all three USB ports on my laptop and still got that error. I know the ports are good because I use one for my mouse and used the other when I used to connect my phone to my computer and it always worked. The 3148 error was a little above my head and I dont really understand how to try to fix it. Am I just destined for my phone not to be restored? I am trying to fix this myself because I had to have to pay someone to look at it and then it not be able to be fixed on top of that. I really do appreciate all of the advice you are giving me and hope that you can continue to help me.

I downloaded the iphone 4 6.1.2 from your link and itunes acted like it was going to restore but it didnt take long and I got an error that said "The iphone could not be stored. An unexpected error occurred 3148, so then I downloaded the firmware 6.0.1 because I'm pretty sure that's what I had before I did the update and itunes really acted like it was going to restore it, I mean it took forever for it to finally pop up an error and that was error 1601. The 1601 error has to do with the USB and it said to try other ports and restart itunes and do it again which I did for all three USB ports on my laptop and still got that error. I know the ports are good because I use one for my mouse and used the other when I used to connect my phone to my computer and it always worked. The 3148 error was a little above my head and I dont really understand how to try to fix it. Am I just destined for my phone not to be restored? I am trying to fix this myself because I had to have to pay someone to look at it and then it not be able to be fixed on top of that. I really do appreciate all of the advice you are giving me and hope that you can continue to help me.

You can't selectively restore to any iOS without SHSH blobs.

I have an iphone 4. I have saved my blobs for 6.1.2 using Tiny Umbrella. I am currently on ios 5.1.1. I want to install 6.1.2. Can I use redsnow and my saved blobs to do this? Is this the best way to get to 6.1.2 now that the Apple signing window has closed for 6.1.2?

I have an iphone 4. I have saved my blobs for 6.1.2 using Tiny Umbrella. I am currently on ios 5.1.1. I want to install 6.1.2. Can I use redsnow and my saved blobs to do this? Is this the best way to get to 6.1.2 now that the Apple signing window has closed for 6.1.2?

You can do it two ways. Either create a custom IPSW and restore using iTunes, or you can just use RedSn0w's Restore feature in Extras > Even More > Restore. Select the iOS 6.1.2 IPSW for your model of the 4, select Remote for blobs to retrieve them from Cydia and let RedSn0w do its thing. It's basically the same thing as using an iTunes restore minus the iTunes. Result will still be the same.

Hello there,

Thanks so much for putting this together.. Very handy!

I have followed the steps and sadly my iPhone 4 still won't restore :(

Couple of issues it seems. When loading TinyUmbrella and hitting advanced as outlined 'Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit' is already un-ticked.. There are a few other options ticked though? Save All Available SHSH, Request SHSH From Cydia and the long bottom one..

Before reading this post fully I put the phone in DFU mode and using TinyUmbrella attempted to 'Fix Restore' this made some white text appear on the iPhone (something about GreenPois0n, then lots of fast scrolling white text?) then it turned off again. - This may have broken the phone more right?

I then closed TU.

So next I downloaded the firmware as requested, checked iTunes was up-to date, put phone back into DFU mode.

I followed steps to restore from the downloaded file and I got the following error message;

'The iPhone could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.' What does this mean?

Is it hacked? blocked? I bought the phone for my wife to use from eBay and was hoping to get it working again.. It was stuck on the connect to iTunes screen when I got it.

I saw in TU the red text 'UPDATE IPHONE4 BASEBAND' - Is that worth trying?

I also read somewhere about possibly using RedSn0w or Sn0wBreeze. Would it be worth trying to jailbreak the phone first to wake it up then un-jailbreak it and restore to Official Apple system.

Please help me out guys, the wife isn't very happy with her new brick phone :O

Chris

Hello there,

Thanks so much for putting this together.. Very handy!

I have followed the steps and sadly my iPhone 4 still won't restore :(

Couple of issues it seems. When loading TinyUmbrella and hitting advanced as outlined 'Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit' is already un-ticked.. There are a few other options ticked though? Save All Available SHSH, Request SHSH From Cydia and the long bottom one..

Before reading this post fully I put the phone in DFU mode and using TinyUmbrella attempted to 'Fix Restore' this made some white text appear on the iPhone (something about GreenPois0n, then lots of fast scrolling white text?) then it turned off again. - This may have broken the phone more right?

I then closed TU.

So next I downloaded the firmware as requested, checked iTunes was up-to date, put phone back into DFU mode.

I followed steps to restore from the downloaded file and I got the following error message;

'The iPhone could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.' What does this mean?

Is it hacked? blocked? I bought the phone for my wife to use from eBay and was hoping to get it working again.. It was stuck on the connect to iTunes screen when I got it.

I saw in TU the red text 'UPDATE IPHONE4 BASEBAND' - Is that worth trying?

I also read somewhere about possibly using RedSn0w or Sn0wBreeze. Would it be worth trying to jailbreak the phone first to wake it up then un-jailbreak it and restore to Official Apple system.

Please help me out guys, the wife isn't very happy with her new brick phone :O

Chris

You're using the wrong IPSW. There are 3 types of iPhone 4's: GSM, World and CDMA. Make sure you're using the correct one