What's new

Trying to restore a jailbroken iPhone 4 stuck in apple logo loop.

Leespiker

Reaction score
I recently purchased a "broken" iPhone 4. (Verizon)

The phone wouldn't restore via iTunes because it seemed to be restarting during the restore process when it shouldn't have been.

I replaced the battery with a known working one.

The same thing happened.

I tried the recovery fix via TinyUmbrella. It did not work.

Method A: I tried booting it up tethered with iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401_Restore.ipsw using redsn0w_win_0.9.10b5c

Method B: I also tried booting it up tethered with iPhone3,3_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw using redsn0w_win_0.9.15b2

Neither method worked. The phone would just go back into the apple logo loop after it said it was done.

However, Method A would actually show a white screen momentarily then the colored cydia pineapple logo like: http://tinyurl.com/km76q69

After the colored cydia pineapple logo, it would then go back into the apple logo loop.

Any tips on restoring the phone? I don't care if I update the baseband or anything. I would prefer I didn't, but as long as I can restore the phone to working condition, I'm happy.

Note: I'm very uneducated when it comes to jailbreaking, etc. I've never actually done it myself, as I've never needed to up until this point.

Use the latest version of RedSn0w.....

Okay, I used the latest version, redsn0w_0.9.15b3 with iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401_Restore.ipsw and it showed the white screen followed by the pineapple logo again, then it went back to the apple logo loop again.

EDIT: I also tried restoring with
iPhone3,3_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw again and the white screen and pineapple logo did not pop up. It just went straight to the apple logo loop again.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you're using 2 IPSW in the first place. Do a fresh restore of the device in DFU mode. If you're looking to jailbreak it, you can do so afterwards

I'm not sure why you're using 2 IPSW in the first place. Do a fresh restore of the device in DFU mode. If you're looking to jailbreak it, you can do so afterwards

It won't restore, that's what I'm saying.

Also, I'm not sure what IPSW to use.

Use the 6.1.3 IPSW when restoring, the 6.0 when jailbreaking using RedSn0w

Can I use redsn0w for a fresh restore, or do I need to use iTunes? If I use iTunes, should gs.apple.com in my hosts file be commented out or not?

If I use redsn0w, what's the exact process for the restore?

EDIT: I will be using iTunes to restore, got it. Restarting computer now, then I will try to restore it to 6.1.3.

Last edited:

Okay so I tried restoring it with 6.1.3 IPSW, and it never gets to the loading white bar under the apple logo part.

To me, it seems like it is restarting early (when it says apple is verifying the restore). Then after the first restart, it just continues on to the apple logo loop.

Suggestions?

I appreciate every one of your responses. :) Thank you.

EDIT: Before you ask, yes, I was in DFU mode.

Try this first:
In most cases, you can solve these problems by putting the phone into recovery mode and restoring it from backup. To do that, follow these instructions:
1. Connect the iPhone's USB cable to your computer, but not your iPhone.
2. Turn your iPhone off. If the phone won't turn off in the traditional manner, just keep holding the buttons until the screen goes dark.
3. Once you've turned the device off, press the home button on the face of the device and plug in the USB cable to the device's dock connector.
4. When it turns on, keep pressing the home button until the iTunes logo appears on the screen.
5. You'll know the phone is now in recovery mode because a window in iTunes will tell you.
6. You can then start the restore process by clicking the "Restore" button in the iTunes window.

It makes no sense to place the device into Recovery Mode when DFU mode does the same if not better...