What's new

Trying to cancel two factor authentication

Puzzled

Reaction score
I updated my iPhone and then received a bunch of emails stating I activated that Two-Factor Authentication. I did not want to do that. When I updated my iPad I was able to dodge that.

The emails had a link to turn it off, but when I do that it wants me to created another Apple ID password. I don't want to do that. Too many issues with my hisband if I do that. He will never remember a different one. Also, I am notmsure why it wants me to do that. I can't find anything about that being necessary in any sites I found Googling about it.

I don't even know what devices were selected to contact for authentication. It was bever asked. I received 5 emails sent to different email adresses I have. (Do not aske why I have five, that is not the issue with this post, I can see it coming. LOL)

How do I turn it off? I know it was activated. My iPad still has the number one in the red circle on the settings icon to notifiy me that the two-step authentication has not been activated. I do not intend to. I don't carry two devices around with me. I really need to deactivate it in the iPhone,

Thanks.

How long has it been since the two factor authentication was turned on? If it has been less than two weeks, turning it off from the link in the email should restore your previous settings and security questions. If it has been longer than that, you'll have to create a new Apple ID password and security questions. Here's the Apple link with directions for turning off two factor authentication at the bottom of the page. Two-factor authentication for Apple ID

How long has it been since the two factor authentication was turned on? If it has been less than two weeks, turning it off from the link in the email should restore your previous settings and security questions. If it has been longer than that, you'll have to create a new Apple ID password and security questions. Here's the Apple link with directions for turning off two factor authentication at the bottom of the page. Two-factor authentication for Apple ID

I just did the update and I received a slew of emails and the emails are all the same and they have a link to cancel it. When I click that link I am told I have to create a new password for my account. I do not want to create a new password. Just want to cancle that two-step authentication. I have no choice but to create a new password. It say to create a new password and enter it again. I stop there because I want to keep my password I now have. It makes no sense. It does not work the way the sites say. Why would I have to create a new password?

The emails are good until April 29. My husband just said it happened to him, too. Last week he was asking me what our apple ID password is. He said he had to jump through hoops. He did not sign up for it when he updated, either. It just activated. Somehow, I managed to dodge it with the pad. I remember seeing it but I got past the screen without it activating. We are going to try to deactivate it tomorrow. He can't remember exactly how he did it and it is late now.

Thanks for your prompt reply and assistance.

Incidentally, the 1 in the red circle against Settings means that the device has a Software Update available.

The 1 is referring to thr Two-Factor Authentication that I did not do with the iPad update, this time. It will stay there unless I activate it on my pad. The software is up-to-date on my iPad. The number 1 is not appearing on my phone because when I updated my phone the Two-Factor Authentication was activated. On my pad, in Settings, left hand coumn under my name it says, "Two-Step Authentication" with the number 1 beside it, in the red circle. The software is up-to-date.

I updated the pad first and did not activitate the Two-Step Authentication. There was some step that I did when updating my pad that I must have bypassed when updating the phone

Thinking back, when I did the pad, I touched the icon (or maybe it was the word, "More") to get information about the Two-Factor Authentication because I did not know what it was. Maybe there was something there that allowed me to not do it, I can't remember. I waited a few days before updating my phone because I wanted to make sure none of my apps or other things were disrupted by the update. Now I need to deactivate the Two-Factor Authentication and it won't let me do that without changing my password. Who knows where that will lead, and I don't want to do that. I know that convoluted password.