What's new

Trouble with iTunes

anchorsaweigh

Reaction score
I've had my 4S for a year and had a 3GS prior. I've never been able to figure out iTunes. Could they have possibly come up with a more cumbersome and less intuitive program? I certainly doubt it. To this day I still can't figure out how to get my mp3s from my PC to my iPhone. The genius bar at the apple store is no help. They simply suggested I go to YouTube and search the tutorials. In the meantime, I have nothin more than an extremely expensive cell phone.

Please, someone point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Bob

With regards to getting your mp3 into iTunes then onto your iPhone.... the simplest way I find it to start by opening iTunes....open the Music tab in iTunes then just drag and drop your music(mp3) selection into Music....it's just then a process syncing all your music to the iPhone. hope that made sense..

I'm going to be a little more detailed.

First plug in your phone. iTunes should pop up, if it doesn't open it. See your iPhone on the left column? Good. Click on that and then look at the top of the screen. Click on Music.

Now you will have choices. Do you want your entire collection to come over. Click that. Just certain artist? Click on thos on the right.

Now if you're like me I want certain playlist and a few other songs. So I click on playlist and other songs. I select the playlist. Now under all of this is Individual Music or something similar to that. You will nee to go to your songs and drag them on that list. After you have it set up click on sync. And it will and you should be done.

Now if any of that wasn't clear come back and let us know where you got stuck. We will get you through it.

Have you told iTunes to import your mp3 collection from where ever on your pc

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Good point, if he's using something else to play him mp3's maybe that's what's going on. Because it's real simple.

I thought it just went after that stuff automatically. I thought that what syncing was all about. Please enlighten me!

Ok when I am in front of my PC later I can coach you through it unless some one else here can do it off the top of their head. Meantime have a look in iTunes > file > add...... and see if you can work it out

Actually it's not that complicated. Open iTunes. Go to where your mp3 files are at. Select them. Then just drag them right into iTunes.

Now iTunes is set to convert the files to AAC files, if you don't have a problem with that then no problem but if you want to keep them as mp3 files you'll have to go to edit/preferences then choose to import files as mp3. Set it to 192 that's the best iTunes can do for you. Then you should be set.

192 is certainly not the best iTunes can do
Most of my files in iTunes are 320 and above

Well, it might keep them as is, that may only apply to bringing in music off of CD's. Try dragging a couple in and see what happens, I think you'll be fine. If it converts to AAC that's an upgrade, but I prefer mp3 myself.

I see you don't know iTunes too well Hook

Let's see. Been using it for 10 years. I haven't dragged any files into iTunes, that's not how I'm set up but I know it can be done that way. I'm just not certain if it converted the files or not.

I'm set up via Amazon. I have my music stored in a cloud, and when I purchase it puts a copy in the cloud then downloads a copy to my computer which automatically sends it's location to iTunes.

I know quite a bit about iTunes and I don't know why you would make a comment like that. It's been my choice of music storage for a decade. I've never had any issues uploading music via my phone or iPad. You just got to load the files, which is easy as is moving the content to your phone.

Let's see. Been using it for 10 years. I haven't dragged any files into iTunes, that's not how I'm set up but I know it can be done that way. I'm just not certain if it converted the files or not.

I'm set up via Amazon. I have my music stored in a cloud, and when I purchase it puts a copy in the cloud then downloads a copy to my computer which automatically sends it's location to iTunes.

I know quite a bit about iTunes and I don't know why you would make a comment like that. It's been my choice of music storage for a decade. I've never had any issues uploading music via my phone or iPad. You just got to load the files, which is easy as is moving the content to your phone.

Ok, sorry, just your comment re bitrates and importing cd's left me wondering

To the op
Run Itunes
Select file > Add Folder to Library
This brings up a search box
Navigate to where your mp3 files are and select the folder (s) you want to include
Itunes will now import the songs in that folder to its own library from where you can drag and drop them onto your phone
There are other settings you might want to look at in Edit > Preferences > General and in Edit >Preferences > Advanced
But for now this is an easy way to get started

Last edited:
You guys are great. After all the talking with Apple's so-called "Geniuses", not one of them even thought of telling me to upload the files to iTunes first. I am so sick and tired of people who presume your level of expertise is the same as theirs. I mean, if my level of expertise was the same as theirs, would I even be asking them a question?

Now, I had ripped two book series into MP3 files. When they were copied over, many chapters (MP3s) were not copied. I would like to remove them from the iPhone and start them over to see if they can be picked back up.

I hate to seem like a pain, but some more advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Bob

I see you don't know iTunes too well Hook

Really? Why does a comment like yours need to be in that kind of tone and manner, dbplumb?

Comments in that manner makes new members less willing to ask question in fear of having responses like yours. Please remember that all members here make the attempt to help others.

Please be respectful of that.

Thank you.
Ski...
iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator