What's new

Transferring contacts to new iphone

Bri1980

Reaction score
Hi, I lost my iphone4, i never did any back ups on my pc, just the usual synch whenever i plugged in, my iphone was labelled as Brians iphone. I now have my new iphone and have no contacts. Is there anyway to get my contacts from itunes (Brian's iphone) to my new iphone??

Thanks

Bri1980 said:
Hi, I lost my iphone4, i never did any back ups on my pc, just the usual synch whenever i plugged in, my iphone was labelled as Brians iphone. I now have my new iphone and have no contacts. Is there anyway to get my contacts from itunes (Brian's iphone) to my new iphone??

Thanks

Your should be able to sync your contacts over through your email.

Yours is a great question, and I've always wondered about that! If I were you, with a new phone, what would it hurt to try "restoring from backup" from Brian's phone! It might work, and if it doesn't, you've really not hurt anything.

I plan to get a new iPhone months from now and I wish to transfer my current Contacts to it. Very strange how the question of how to transfer is never reasonably answered here. But I bet you CAN restore from a previous iPhone to a new one.

Please let us know if you tried and if it worked!!!!!!!!

Bri1980 said:

Thanks

Your should be able to sync your contacts over through your email.

Thanks for that, could you tell me how i do it?

what i would do would be to restore your old phone onto your new phone and then open up the windows address book (hopefully you are a pc user) and your can sync your contact to there, then you can wipe your phone clean (if thats what you want) and then when you re-sync your new phone check the sync contact and you will be able to select the windows address book. hope that helped! it also ensures that your contact will be on your pc for all future uses.

what i would do would be to restore your old phone onto your new phone ........

You do mean "restore" from the backup of the old phone, right?? You aren't talking about the major Restore operation, are you?

Bri1980 said:
Thanks for that, could you tell me how i do it?

Settings>mail, contacts calendar> add account> choose email service that you use>input your email info. Once it approves your email and password you'll be asked if you want to sync contacts, calendar or notes.

iCrank said:
Settings>mail, contacts calendar> add account> choose email service that you use>input your email info. Once it approves your email and password you'll be asked if you want to sync contacts, calendar or notes.

+1. That'll do the trick :D

iPhone 4 16Gb 4.2.8 (jbme 3.0)| Moderator @ iPhoneforum staff

Someone said above that the subject of transfer/contact sync has "never been reasonably addressed here". Maybe not, but I've poked around several places more than a time or three, and no other site/forum that I'm aware of has addressed contact sync problems either. I have been an iPhone guy for a couple of years, but since getting a new notebook - and a MacBookPro at that (Apple's own) - whenever I sync I lose contacts. It simply can't ... be ... that ... hard!

Someone said above that the subject of transfer/contact sync has "never been reasonably addressed here". Maybe not, but I've poked around several places more than a time or three, and no other site/forum that I'm aware of has addressed contact sync problems either. I have been an iPhone guy for a couple of years, but since getting a new notebook - and a MacBookPro at that (Apple's own) - whenever I sync I lose contacts. It simply can't ... be ... that ... hard!
Exactly, Tedd!!
In the final analysis, I still don't know how to answer your situation. iTunes should be banned from Planet Earth, period. But as far as "saving Contacts in an iPhone -- and transferring them to ANOTHER iPhone -- I "think" that "restoring from backup" will work, regardless of what iPhone is connected, as long as it's registered to the computer.
But I'll never know the answer to that for sure. That question is never answered.
People write about synching with Outlook yada, yada, but most of us don't use Outlook!! And regarding your MacBookPro, good luck with that. Get back if you have a solution.