What's new

To Tether Or Not To Tether

Joe

Reaction score
I am ordering a new iPhone 4 this week and I am debating whether to get tethering along with the 2GB data plan. Here's my issue. I have a Macbook with AT&T internet service. I also have a landline with AT&T service. I was thinking of dropping both my AT&T service for my computer and landline phone and instead using AT&T to tether my new iPhone 4 and MacBook. Would this save me money? I have heard from one source that I'll probably use up my 2GB and then have to pay an additional $10 for each extra GB. So maybe tethering isn't the way to go for me. Any thoughts? Thanks ahead of time.

You need more than 2GB of data a month if you use the tethering feature and I think it's more than $10 per GB if you go over the limit. It's $15 per 200mb for everything over the 2GB.

Another problem that you'll encounter is the battery on your iPhone. When you use it to tether the charge will not last as long, unless you keep it plugged in all the time.

I would drop your home phone instead and use your cell as your main number.

Will you be taking your laptop everywhere with you? is 3g on your iphone not going to be enough? depends on you really and how much you travel with your laptop and need a bigger screen to surf

i probably wouldn't rely on your phones internet to power your macbook at home. as far as the 2 gigs go, you will run out of that very fast, that i can guarantee you.

I am ordering a new iPhone 4 this week and I am debating whether to get tethering along with the 2GB data plan. Here's my issue. I have a Macbook with AT&T internet service. I also have a landline with AT&T service. I was thinking of dropping both my AT&T service for my computer and landline phone and instead using AT&T to tether my new iPhone 4 and MacBook. Would this save me money? I have heard from one source that I'll probably use up my 2GB and then have to pay an additional $10 for each extra GB. So maybe tethering isn't the way to go for me. Any thoughts? Thanks ahead of time.

You will probably go over your two gigabyte limit so I would advise you not to tether. If you play games, watch videos etc etc it's very easy to go over your limit so just don't tether.