What's new

Threat of the Galaxy S II

danielgfreeman said:
I too was a PC guy, and still am purely based on a thin wallet. I have 3 Dell pc,s 2 lappity top boxes and a desktop and only one of them is currently functioning properly....the oldest one I might add. I attempted to do a restore of my windows 7 pc and it is now completely useless. It won't get past the install command and it says it doesn't find any signed drviers, that I have already tried to install, but it's all whacked out. Now I'm gonna have to take it somewhere and pay them who knows how much to get it back going again. If I had the wallet for it I would say *edited* on it and get a MAC like I really wanted anyway, I just can't afford it at the moment. I have frown to despise windows and DELL machines in particular and can not wait for the day than I am all MAC. It will be so nice to have a system that actually works without having to give it a reach around every time you need to perform a task or run a particular program.

Ever consider a Mac mini? I made the switch a little over three years ago. Now I have a 24" iMac a 11" Mac book air (awesome I must say). My employer replaced my Dell desk top with a 24" Mac (at my request) a year and a half ago and recently got me a second 27" iMac for other job duties last February. I have only had one issue with all of them - the heads died on my 24" work iMac. I swapped out the hard drive and it's back better than before! The Macs are worth the extra $!

sgtjiggy said:
Ever consider a Mac mini?

Yes i have considered that as an option. I got one for my mother about 5 years ago after she kept complaining about her desktop pc. I like the mini, but its not my preferred option for a desktop, not a bad one though. I have been shopping around for used MAC desktops, iMac, and minis and may be able to come uo with something for myself by christmas anyhow. I relly like the 27" iMac for a convenient and beautiful disply in a desktop as i have now been spoiled by the display on my ipad, i cant look at my other monitors without a little hatred.

danielgfreeman said:
Yes i have considered that as an option. I got one for my mother about 5 years ago after she kept complaining about her desktop pc. I like the mini, but its not my preferred option for a desktop, not a bad one though. I have been shopping around for used MAC desktops, iMac, and minis and may be able to come uo with something for myself by christmas anyhow. I relly like the 27" iMac for a convenient and beautiful disply in a desktop as i have now been spoiled by the display on my ipad, i cant look at my other monitors without a little hatred.

I love the 27 iMac I have at one of my offices. It is beautiful. I can't wait until I have an excuse to hand my 24 iMac to my kids. Then it's the 27 for me with as many thunderbolt ports as possible!

I've been using the AVG 7.5 for the past several months and I haven't had any problems since installing. Just wanted to share.

Galaxy S II is crap, imo. Once you get past the shiny screen (which is still rated 2nd behind the Retina display) its still buggy ole' Android. Dont get me wrong, android is good. Its what I have for my work. Phone + point to signature + but its nowhere near iOS imo.

Sent from The Droid... The one you were looking for...

danielgfreeman said:
I am a android user and there are things that I do like about android, but after having spent the last three weeks with my shiny new ipad2, I don't think I will be searching for too many features of my old android phone when I make the switch, and oh yes the switch is immanent. I have always like iOS and am very eager to try iOS 5. I am just hoping for the love of god.....please allow custom equalizer function inside the iPod app itself!! I. Use far to many listening devices(headphones, stereo, car stereo, studio monitors, pa system,) with my iPod/iPad that it is something that I have yearning for since the beginning. I have multiple custom EQ settings in my computer for my different output sources, so it would be awesome to be able to dial in custom EQ settings on the iPod and all other iOS devices.

It would be perfect if they add BBE EQ they would be future proof just for the sound options!

2 weeks ago I was debating whether to go for a Samsung Galaxy SII or the iphone 4. I eventually chose the iphone for the following reasons:-

1. The Galaxy is too big, great for watching video etc, but the beautiful display and resolution of the iphone is, IMO superior.

2.Although the camera on the iphone4 is only 5MP, the quality of photos are amazing. My brother is a photographer and tells me that it's pixel quality that makes the difference.

3. iOS is way better, more stable and easier to use than Android. I've had a SE Xperia X10 for over a year and even with the Gingerbread update my phone kept on switching itself off (friends who use android say the same!)

4.Build quality is exceptional with the iphone. As with all Apple products, the design and quality really is second to none.

5.Last, but not least, there is the software.....no comparison. I've downloaded masses of Apps and not one has caused me problems.

I'm so pleased I decided to opt for the iphone4. I don't even care about the iphone5 because I'm enjoying using this one so much. Just looking forward to the iOS5!!!

My brothers just bought the galaxy (newest mobile/cell) phone and compared to the iPhone it's pants!

I guessing Apple will trounce the opposition with new releases of their own , just as they did with the ipad2 and i

iLloyd said:
Apple will be the leader for quite some time, but as always its user preference..

Agreed, at one time Nokia was simply untouchable, it has lost that edge badly.

I think the downward spiral was started with their one time flagship the N95 8GB. While it had a gps receiver it did not work with their later mapping software, stupidity in ignoring users complaints meant a big chunk of that customer base started to look elsewhere, which has an avalanching effect.

I really believe the "iphone killer" title is due more to the 4g than anything else with all other things being equal. I think Apple missed the boat by not making the iphone 5 4g/4LTE. If the iphone 5 is 4g/4LTE, that is probably mine and other android owner's next phone.
Yep I currently have a Android EVO 4G on Sprint. 4G will be key for me getting the iPhone 5, mainly because Sprint's 3G really sucks where I'm at. If the iPhone 5 ships without 4G, the Galaxy S2 will likely be my next phone until the iPhone 6 arrives.