What's new

Thoughts on phone for Blind Daughter

torokfam

Reaction score
Hello:
I am looking for a phone for my daughter who is blind. She is fully functioning and just got her PHD and is starting a new job. She will need a phone that can speak to her for almost all functions. She will need it to read menu's, read text messeges and anounce the name of the caller as well as may other things as you might imagine. I was thinking Droid or I phone. She will be with verizon. Was looking for some imput from the forum. Most of all it must have a slide keyboard so she can feel the letters. Thanks Mike

Last edited:
torokfam said:
Hello:
I am looking for a phone for my daughter who is blind. She is fully functioning and just got her PHD and is starting a new job. She will need a phone that can speak to her for almost all functions. She will need it to read menu's, read text messeges and anounce the name of the caller as well as may other things as you might imagine. I was thinking Droid or I phone. She will be with verizon. Was looking for some imput from the forum. Most of all it must have a slide keyboard so she can feel the letters. Thanks Mike

If your major concern is a sliding keyboard then go with the Droid. The iPhone probably will never have a keyboard. As far as how android operates for the vision impaired I wouldn't know but I'll sure look a around for you

iQuickFix said:
If you want to stick with the iPhone(wise choice in my mind) and you need a slide-out keyboard, you can purchase a case with a built-in bluetooth keyboard for the iphone 4. I've added a few links here just for some ideas.

EvoMax

Naztech Bluetooth slide-out keyboard for iPhone 4 | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews

The only potential problem there is if they become unpaired, she will need some help to repair them again, but that's not too likely to be a problem. Hope it helps, and keep us posted.

I knew about that but didn't want to advise it bc of the potential pairing issue.