What's new

This accessory may not be supported

Sonia1309

Reaction score
My sons iphone 5 is about 18 months old. About a month ago he said the battery wasn't holding charge very well and was dropping by 20% in a few seconds etc, occasionally it came up with "this accessory may not be supported" and wouldn't charge, but this problem was sporadic. Bought new charger (genuine apple) but problem remained, both chargers work fine with my iPhone 5. Reached the point where it was barely charging at all so took it for repair, they said it was the battery so replaced it. Got it back today (it was at 46% charged)was advised to let it drain completely before recharging, lo and behold the error message came up when it got to 24% charge and it won't go any higher, although it's holding that charge which it wouldn't before (it would drain really quickly). Any ideas?!

are you using a official apple lightning cable?if not thats your problem . if so i cant be of much more help and good luck .
latest ios?

are you using a official apple lightning cable?if not thats your problem . if so i cant be of much more help and good luck .
latest ios?
Yes using apple charger and cable. Don't think he has updated to iOS 8 as everyone he knew seemed to be having problems, but then neither have I and my phone charges fine so can't see that being the problem?

Maybe this will help:

Connect the USB cable to a wall socket. Turn off the iPhone and wait for the spinning wheel. As soon as you see it, plug the cable to the iPhone. Don't turn it on afterwards, but wait for 15 minutes, then turn it on. Dismiss all warnings. It should charge without problems.

Or:
Plug in the cable to a wall socket, connect it to the iPhone. Dismiss warnings, go to the homescreen, dismiss remaining warnings. Unplug the cable and plug it in again. Again: dismiss warnings. Now it should charge.

Maybe the connector on your iPhone causes your problem. Take a look at it, it's possible that it has to be replaced.

Maybe this will help:

Connect the USB cable to a wall socket. Turn off the iPhone and wait for the spinning wheel. As soon as you see it, plug the cable to the iPhone. Don't turn it on afterwards, but wait for 15 minutes, then turn it on. Dismiss all warnings. It should charge without problems.

Or:
Plug in the cable to a wall socket, connect it to the iPhone. Dismiss warnings, go to the homescreen, dismiss remaining warnings. Unplug the cable and plug it in again. Again: dismiss warnings. Now it should charge.

Maybe the connector on your iPhone causes your problem. Take a look at it, it's possible that it has to be replaced.
Tried those this morning, didn't make any difference. Guy at mobile repair shop insists must be faulty charger but A. They both work fine with my other iPhone
B. Why would they charge it from dead to 24% before coming up with the error message?
I'm happy to pay for it to be fixed as long as I know what I'm getting fixed. So many different ideas about what the problem could be...

Not a faulty charger, but a faulty or dirty connector on the iPhone (not the cables!).

A and B will happen when there's a problem with the charging port (lightning connector). You could also try cleaning it carefully and cautiously, using a soft brush, or compressed air. Dirt can mess up the connection between charging cable and iPhone.

I got exactly that message two weeks ago. Got a new lightening cable and that solved the problem.