What's new

Third Party Chargers Damage the iPhone ??

abredt

Reaction score
Is it true that Third Party Chargers Damage the iPhone?

I bought 3 car chargers for the 5S and they all made the battery charging arrow appear at the top of the phone.
Can I assume that they are OK?

I'm afraid to let them do a full charge.
Is there a way I can tell?
cb

I always recommend using OEM chargers. The reason is you can never tell if they're doing damage until it's too late...

It may cost more in the short term but it's cheaper than having to pay to fix/replace a whole device.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

I always recommend using OEM chargers. The reason is you can never tell if they're doing damage until it's too late...

It may cost more in the short term but it's cheaper than having to pay to fix/replace a whole device.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

Agreed, I would never buy anything other than OEM chargers and cords.

My opinion is that you pay a lot of money for Apple devices so why risk using third party chargers and cables, It just isn't worth any risk however small it may be to your valuable devices.

OK - I'm convinced.

Do you buy them from Apple or is there anywhere that is cheaper?
cb

OK - I'm convinced.

Do you buy them from Apple or is there anywhere that is cheaper?
cb
Here in the UK Apple accessories are available from other outlets such as Mobile phone shops but they are no cheaper, From what i understand Apple products pricing is fixed wherever you buy them from.

When I first got my very first iPhone I did get a cheap charger to keep in my Jeep that would only charge half the time. I kind of figures out myself that this could be no good for my device and then after thinking about the quality smartphone I did have that I did in fact need a charger that was MENT for my phone. Ever since when upgrading my iPhone I would only get apple car chargers. My Husband for his iPhone 5 did purchase one from our carrier which I'm sure was labeled safe for the iPhone ( a sister company of Verizon ) and hasn't had any problems with his. So I'm pretty sure that a cheap charger really could cause major damage for your iDevice.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5s using iPF.net

I've had several nonApple chargers. Every one of them has inexplicably failed. I'll stick to Apple ones in future.

OEMs and Apple-vetted accessories companies (such as Belkin) should always be used since they have a guaranteed quality check before they're packaged and shipped. Sure they may run a little more than your generic 2 bucks a pop wire or A/C adapters, but that's a small price to pay compared to replacing your phone by paying the MSRP. And in terms of length of your cable, yes having a 6ft cable is great, but the reason why 99% of USB cables that you'll ever see in abundance are within the 2-3ft (or about 0.5 to 1m) range is because of the ability for the cable to short extremely easily. It's convenient, but is a huge hit-or-miss, even if it's an Apple-branded 2m cable. It's best to just get one standard size USB cable at about $20 rather than going through 5-6 annually at $10-20 a pop, or in the case of your standard sized non-OEM/certified cables, going through 10-20 of them annually at $2-3 a pop.

There was a tech post not too long ago somewhere that had the tear-down of the now "standard" 5W wall charger in comparison to Chinese-generic/non-Apple ones, and it shows that the $19 for that little white plastic brick that seems far from worth its value is definitely worth the extra bit compared to your Chinese knock-offs in terms of safety for the consumer as well as longevity for your device.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your advice.

But must I buy them direct from Apple itself?
Or where can I buy OEM approved cables and chargers?

cb

Thanks to all for your advice.

But must I buy them direct from Apple itself?
Or where can I buy OEM approved cables and chargers?

cb
WalMart springs to mind, also Staples and BestBuy. They all sell genuine Apple products.