What's new

Thief Steals Phone While it Was Being Actively Tracked by GPS

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
thief.jpg

The San Francisco Chronicle's Crime Scene blog features a true cautionary tale for any would-be iPhone thieves out there. According to a police report, a 31 year old city resident rode their bicycle past a woman in the South of Market district, grabbed her iPhone and then cycled off with it. All well and good as far as the would-be thief was concerned, except for the fact that the particular iPhone he snatched was involved in a demonstration of a real-time GPS tracking program called Alert & Respond! As the crim made off with the phone, the screen was displaying his location as he travelled around San Francisco to the owner of the phone who was running the test, David Kahn, chief executive of Covia Labs of Mountain View.

Inevitably, the villain was apprehended by police about 10 minutes later. He'd managed to get half-a-mile away from the crime scene, unaware that his location was being broadcast every step of the way. The criminal was subsequently booked into jail on suspicion of grand theft and possession of stolen property.

Source: The San Francisco Chronicle

best news i've heard all day today. great job Alert & respond. As one of the many users & owners of today's sophisticated gadget, I would like to see this app becomes available to all.

Great story if it stops even 1 person from swiping I phone its worthwhile.