What's new

The Vapor: One slick iPhone 4 case

Now that I have seen both and held both I would have to say save your money, get your case faster, and order from Atomic. Now that they have worked out the signal issue problem (something that the Vapor4 will still have) you should not have any issues with the case. They are a tad bit cheaper, the carbon back (sticker) is as good of quality if not better than the Element one, and the colors they have are awesome. Just my 2 cents.

I was all about the Element case, than my buddy got his, I saw it, I was still waiting for mine to be even available for sale, and than I saw Atomic, had it within a week or so, very nice piece.

Why do you think the Vapor case will still have a reception issue? There is physical seperation between the case and the phone as there is cushioned material in the corners of the case.

It is not providing a total isolation 100% of the way around the case. I have found at least that it will require 100% isolation. As the foam pads ware down the phone ends up making contact with the sides causing the exact same problem.

I am thinking the total isolation technique that Atomic will be implementing on the cases here in the next few days.... actually hopefully by weeks end, will take care of any issues they are having. I will be one of the first to do some field tests on it and see if they are having the same results as what I built.

The next step is they are going to try a Aerospace technology clear coat which will put a non conductive coating on the entire case, this will prevent any conduction and may also solve the issue, and give the case more luster. Should be interesting as to how this will turn out.

Since the vast majority of iPhone 4 users do not seem to have this issue, even without a case, I will go with the Vapor case as it is better looking than all others. Since the case will cover the antenna visually I can always put some non-conductive tape at the special area and ensure that I have no problem with this. YMMV

I'm considering this one as my next case. I guess no one will stop me from buying?

I'm considering this one as my next case. I guess no one will stop me from buying?

I sold mine ($192 eBay)... Just not the kind of case I wanted... But it looks great & fits great and didn't have any huge signal issues. Just a pain going thru the waiting list also don't expect a response to any calls or emails.

Good luck getting it anytime soon, I've been on the waiting list for 2.5 months. Went with the Atomic case in the meantime/instead but so far that has proved a disaster as well.

I have had mine for a couple of days now, I didn't think that I had a problem with signal, having now taken the phone to places where I know I had good/full signal coverage unfortunately that assumption has now proved to be wrong, I really wanted to like this case, it looks absolutely stunning, but, my main use for the phone, funnily enough, is as a phone, the signal loss was too great to forgive, I could never get full bars when the case was attached to the phone, real shame, it really is.

I have had mine for a couple of days now, I didn't think that I had a problem with signal, having now taken the phone to places where I know I had good/full signal coverage unfortunately that assumption has now proved to be wrong, I really wanted to like this case, it looks absolutely stunning, but, my main use for the phone, funnily enough, is as a phone, the signal loss was too great to forgive, I could never get full bars when the case was attached to the phone, real shame, it really is.

What I find amazing is that both Atomic and Element have advertised their cases as 'a stylish way to solve the antenna problem'. Vapour cases from what I have heard don't, and having owned an Atomic case guess what? It also doesn't solve the antenna issue. In fact there wasn't an issue until I put the case on!

I know Atomic are working on a fix but I don't care what anyone says, it's false advertising. Your selling a broken product, it doesn't do what you say it does!. I don't think they should be allowed to get away with it to be honest.

What I find amazing is that both Atomic and Element have advertised their cases as 'a stylish way to solve the antenna problem'. Vapour cases from what I have heard don't, and having owned an Atomic case guess what? It also doesn't solve the antenna issue. In fact there wasn't an issue until I put the case on!

I know Atomic are working on a fix but I don't care what anyone says, it's false advertising. Your selling a broken product, it doesn't do what you say it does!. I don't think they should be allowed to get away with it to be honest.

I agree! Even tho I didn't have a large enough issue with reception to return it. It's clear wrapping the band in aluminum nomatter how insulated does reduce the signal.

Glad you agree with me DannyBoy, no matter how you insulate it with high tech or Aero space technology it's gonna degrade signal when your in a lower signal area.
Like I said before it's just common sense if you wrap the antenna in metal it's gonna hurt reception.

Good luck getting it anytime soon, I've been on the waiting list for 2.5 months. Went with the Atomic case in the meantime/instead but so far that has proved a disaster as well.

Have mine in my hand, ordered it when it first came out, then they updated it to include the sim card tray cut out, and got that version when it shipped, glad they updated it. One of the big reasons I bought my iPhone 4 in Beijing was to be able to swap sim cards from other countries without worrying about jailbreaking it.

I have had good luck with mine so far. No real issues what so ever. Maybe they got the signal issues worked out.

Glad you agree with me DannyBoy, no matter how you insulate it with high tech or Aero space technology it's gonna degrade signal when your in a lower signal area.
Like I said before it's just common sense if you wrap the antenna in metal it's gonna hurt reception.

I just have to say one word...DITTO!

I've been having MEGA issues with the Atomic aluminum cases, both slotted and non slotted, and have concerns that, with the Vapor also being all aluminum, the same issues may be present. That, of course, being lost reception. Can anyone experienced comment on this?

I agree! Even tho I didn't have a large enough issue with reception to return it. It's clear wrapping the band in aluminum nomatter how insulated does reduce the signal.
Hell yeah. And this "hybrid" talk isn't going to fix a damned thing either. So three quarters of the case will be lousy looking matted "composite" (read: plastic. 'Might as well go with the Apple bumper) and the fourth side will be aluminum? Great. I've tested the slotted cases, one side on only, and have got major reception loss. And that's just with one side on, not even with the screws in. I think I've reached the end of my rope with the Atomic case as much as I LOVE the look. What good is it if it doesn't function well?