What's new

The iPhone 5 and the Collapse of Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you are smoking something and dont know what you are talking about at all!

I have a samsung galaxy siii 32 gig (android 4.0.4), a iPhone 4s 64 gig (IOS 5.1.1), iPad 64 gig 1st gen (IOS 5.1.1), iPad touch, and Motorola Zoom 32 gig tablet (android 4.1.1).

1. Ever since ICS (Ice Scream Sandwich), the performance of the phones are the same, no more freeze up's than apples. Before ICS I would have to agree with you.

2. Apps being 55% infected, then I should have a phone infected and guess what I DONT, where did you dream this up? I have installed and removed apps (that I don't like) and NEVER had any malware (I install a minimum of one a day, amazon free app of the day).

3. Yes maybe the upgrades are poor, but they do come over time, but not really as needed as IOS updates, cause my siii has way more features than my iPhone could ever dream, and just works! My Zoom tablet received the updates very quickly, had JB, Jelly Bean since july, what a month or 2 after Google announced it, sounds a lot quicker than what apple announces and gives it to me, even tho other brands may still not have it.

4. Again I have the Siii That Just Works!, iPhone 4s that just works, iPad 1st gen that has glitches from time to time (noticed after the last update and done restore on it) but mostly just works, and a Zoom tablet That just works.

and lets not get into the lawsuits.

PS. What so I prefer
my Siii by far, hands down. NFC, voice and data over verizon 4g LTE, widgets, moving wallpapers, ect..... Oh one more major thing, I LOVE the 4.8" screen on the Siii over the 3.5"

I have to agree. I have a HTC One X and have had no issues with it. It runs smoothly, has never frozen up on me. Yes I had a couple of apps that had malware but I just installed an app (free) that tells me which ones they are and I delete them. Easy.
I had a 4S and like many was curious about android and made the change to try one. I have to say that I am impressed with this phone and am in no hurry to race out and grab the iPhone 5.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I don't think Android is going anywhere. I like both platforms. I have a Galaxy S3 with a AOKP Jellybean Rom installed and love it but, have the Iphone 5 preordered. I think the Iphone is more user-friendly and for the average consumer. Phone manufacturers try to make Android more user friendly by adding custom skins and most people don't know the difference.

I Would actually think the bigger threat to Android is the iPod Touch. Go into any middle school in America and what do the kids whip out at the lunchroom or on the bus. Yup, iPods. I have 7 kids so I've seen plenty.

There is a delayed wave of future iPhone owners that hasn't even hit yet. In fact, I was totally anti-apple and it was my kids who turned me around with their lust for iPods.

There is another delayed wave of future iPhone owners. Android 2.2 users waiting for their contracts to run out so they can upgrade to Apple. These are the non-techie types who won't give Android another chance. Android manufacturers delay updates at their own peril because Android has garnered a bad reputation as a buggy unstable OS. Like the Chevrolets of the 70's and 80's, irreparable harm has been done.

The iPhone 5 is not the beginning of the collapse of Android...that started a few models back. The iPhone 5 will hasten the collapse of Android. Many Android users are getting tired of their phones freezing up, poor software upgrade schedules, and having to be careful when choosing apps for their devices since over 55% of them are
infected with malware. Let's face it...the iPhone just flat works!

R.I.P. Android

I think this post might have been true a year or so ago. Android 2.2 and 2.3 were no match for iOS 4. Currently, Android is a solid alternative to iOS. To say otherwise is ignorant.

I've had quite a few of the most recent Android phones(I'm a phone junkie). From the One S to iPhone 4 to the S III, they're all quite nice. One nice feature that many Android phones have is an FM radio.

Battery life is one problem I have with Android phones, but this isn't a problem with Android as an OS. Too many phones have poor battery life.

I have an international Galaxy S III on my desk, and I'd trade it for an iPhone 5 in a heartbeat. It's way too big, and I prefer premium build materials. But, the HTC One X I also have on my desk is pretty amazing. The screen is beautiful, it easily beats the iPhone Retina screen. But, like the S III, it's too big.

One of the main thing that is keeping me from purchasing the iPhone is the lack of extra features that Android phones have. It doesn't have a radio, SD card slot, or regular sim card slot. I would also have to give up my unlimited AT&T data.

I don't see Android going anywhere. People like options/alternatives and Android is the most reasonable one. Because Android is open source I think that attracts a lot of users and I just don't see that changing. Androids market share is much greater than the iPhone both in the US and worldwide. I think the iPhone 5 with the new iOS6 will help Apple gain some market share but Android is nowhere near collapsing. I personally prefer the iPhone; I've had the 3G, 4G and pre-ordered a 5... I personally find the iPhone more user friendly/intuitive compared to Androids.

The iPhone 5 has nothing Android phones haven't already had for years:

Samsungad-640x1236.jpg

Last edited:
I really like both operating systems.
I have an iPhone 4 (preordered the iPhone 5 32GB Black), and a Droid razr maxx. They're both great phones, but I know the iPhone 4 is in desperate need of an upgrade (hence the iPhone 5).
My software with my iPhone hasn't acted right since I upgraded to iOS 5.1.1
Still a great phone, and I use it for my personal phone. The droid razr is my work phone. I mainly chose the razr to be my work phone, due to the 4G LTE capabilities it has. It's handy for looking up something real quick when the office calls (Verizons 3G is super sluggish in my area).

I love both phones and both operating systems. If I had to choose one, I'd go with iOS, since jailbreaking has been around this long and doesn't seem like its going away for now.

Do I think android is on the downfall? No. I honestly believe Android and iOS is the Windows and Mac of the mobile phone world. Competition is good for the consumer. I hope iOS and Android both stick around for a while. I wouldn't mind seeing a few other competitors pop into the market (I used to love web OS).

There will always be those who prefer one over the other and that's good for the consumer (They have to keep stepping up their game to stay significant in the market) and we all benefit from that.

In other words, I'm glad android is around and doing well as well as I'm glad iOS is doing well. Hopefully they'll both be around for years to come and hopefully they'll both keep bringing newer and newer technologies into our lives. :)

I think this post might have been true a year or so ago. Android 2.2 and 2.3 were no match for iOS 4. Currently, Android is a solid alternative to iOS. To say otherwise is ignorant.

I've had quite a few of the most recent Android phones(I'm a phone junkie). From the One S to iPhone 4 to the S III, they're all quite nice. One nice feature that many Android phones have is an FM radio.

Battery life is one problem I have with Android phones, but this isn't a problem with Android as an OS. Too many phones have poor battery life.

I have an international Galaxy S III on my desk, and I'd trade it for an iPhone 5 in a heartbeat. It's way too big, and I prefer premium build materials. But, the HTC One X I also have on my desk is pretty amazing. The screen is beautiful, it easily beats the iPhone Retina screen. But, like the S III, it's too big.

One of the main thing that is keeping me from purchasing the iPhone is the lack of extra features that Android phones have. It doesn't have a radio, SD card slot, or regular sim card slot. I would also have to give up my unlimited AT&T data.

The iPhone 5 has nothing Android phones haven't already had for years:

Samsungad-640x1236.jpg

I agree with most of what you say except for one thing. I don't agree that the One x screen beats the retina display. I guess it's a matter of personal taste. I'm a phone junkie also and still haven't seen anything that looks quite as good as the retina display.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree with most of what you say except for one thing. I don't agree that the One x screen beats the retina display. I guess it's a matter of personal taste. I'm a phone junkie also and still haven't seen anything that looks quite as good as the retina display.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I haven't had an iPhone for a few months, so I could be wring on screen quality. They're pretty close either way.

I like you:) I'm glad you're not agreeing the ludicrous original post. :)There are too many Android fanboys and Apple fanboys.

Sent from my HTC One S

iJinrang said:
Yeah I agree but I wouldn't count android out. They might step there game up. But I left android because of those issues especially the BATTERY problem.

Rip Android
Phones
Not sure about tablets (amazon tablet lol)
However yes iPhone
Rocks!
Yay cannot wait for my upgrade! it's a MONTH away! I know I can walk in when they are at AT&T And grab one LOL

Rip Android
Phones
Not sure about tablets (amazon tablet lol)
However yes iPhone
Rocks!
Yay cannot wait for my upgrade! it's a MONTH away! I know I can walk in when they are at AT&T And grab one LOL

I'm just curious

Have you actually owned, not held or tried a friends android phone with ice cream sandwich 4.?

Or are you just saying this cause in your mind nothing could be better than than the iPhone?

Please tell the truth or dont respond PLEASE.

Don't think Android is going anywhere. If anything I think it will end up taking over most of the cell phone market. I love ios but sadly I see nothing for the iphone5 that Android doesn't already have. In the past Android was sluggish but nowadays it's a really solid os. Wanted to check out the iphone5 at release but think I am going to skip this one and wait for a 5s or 6. I currently own a Razr Maxx and the phone is amazing. Not to mention it can go 2 days without a charge even with heavy use. For 4G phones that's unheard of. Apple didn't give many specifics except for 3G talk time which leads me to believe the iphone 5 may not have a big enough battery. Time will tell.

That being said I do think the ipad will continue to dominate the tablet market though. Along with the ipod continuing to be top dog of the mp3 market for many years to come.

Last edited:
perezr10 said:
I Would actually think the bigger threat to Android is the iPod Touch. Go into any middle school in America and what do the kids whip out at the lunchroom or on the bus. Yup, iPods. I have 7 kids so I've seen plenty.

There is a delayed wave of future iPhone owners that hasn't even hit yet. In fact, I was totally anti-apple and it was my kids who turned me around with their lust for iPods.

how/why is an ipod on the same level as a phone?

ChiTownTx said:
Don't think Android is going anywhere. If anything I think it will end up taking over most of the cell phone market. I love ios but sadly I see nothing for the iphone5 that Android doesn't already have. In the past Android was sluggish but nowadays it's a really solid os. Wanted to check out the iphone5 at release but think I am going to skip this one and wait for a 5s or 6. I currently own a Razr Maxx and the phone is amazing. Not to mention it can go 2 days without a charge even with heavy use. For 4G phones that's unheard of. Apple didn't give many specifics except for 3G talk time which leads me to believe the iphone 5 may not have a big enough battery. Time will tell.

That being said I do think the ipad will continue to dominate the tablet market though. Along with the ipod continuing to be top dog of the mp3 market for many years to come.

Here your very wrong on a couple of points.

First off,I have just recently bought my own I-4s but have bought several iPhones for my 2 sons along with all of the different iPods that have come out . I have always used a androids since they came out,and just went through returning 3 new G3's.So I have a much different perspective than you on this.

Android in any stock configuration is not as stable as IOS stock version.Yes,ice cream sandwich and jelly beans has helped,but it has not corrected everything since each manufacture and carrier has varying specs.You can't fix all hardware issues with software work arounds and that is the main issue,couple that with the bloatware already preinstalled on most all androids...as opposed to the iPhone ,and it is very easy to see why android based phones looses in any of the market surveys on ease of use and owner happiness

Yes I know all about removing bloatware side loading rooting androids to improve them....but...stock for stock experiences for usability reliability can not be matched by even the great G3.Mine had connecting issues with both wi-fi and the LTE,as well as having both excessive battery drain and the battery plummet issues.3 different phones.3 different lots.same issues...and knowing they won't be resolved anytime soon from Samsung.How can I say this...simple,I know people who work on the Galaxy team at Samsung and have dealt with them in the past with all the issues the Captivate and G2 had,and this new G3 will be no different.Their SOP is to rush new phones out then fix the issues later with software patches and that isn't right.

Please don't misunderstand me...android can be very good on certain devices,your Razor is a prime example,but to have the least amount of issues,rooting them and installing a custom rom is the only way many of them will work as they should from the box..BTW....I still own the 1st one that came out,plus 2 others,but,being carrier locked removes it from many folks hands...and the best of the Razors are rooted ones and running custom roms and various radios.

Android OS is available to more namely because of cost of the phones on contract of the main carriers alone,so that is the reason it won't go away anytime soon.As long as they keep giving all the eye candy and making people think they are getting more for their money...they will continue to sell a ton of them.

What is a real shame is that the consumer has to join class action lawsuits against the manufactures and carriers to resolve hardware issues on them...something that Apple owners don't have do.perhaps it's time the other manufactures follow Apples lead and stop using the customer for beta testers on their devices...and quit rushing problematic phones to stores just for market share.................

I am not a fanboy of all things apple or how they do things company wise but am a fan of the quality of their products and ease of use along with their dependability ...and IMHO has not been matched by anything android yet.Getting the carriers to stop their bs with their implementing changes and restrictions on it is really the only thing that is going to help...they may look the same on the outside.. but are different in how the run

Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.