What's new

The "Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on iOS X.X.X" Thread

So it’s looking like, when all is said & done... we’ll have 3 different jailbreak tools for iOS11-11.1.2. The one that’s already out from @Morpheus called “LiberIOS” and coming shortly we’ll have the one from @cheesecakeufo and the one from @coolstar, the developer of the theming app, Anemone.

We’re all just waiting on Saurik to update Cydia and Cydia Substrate.

I’ve already jailbroken with the LiberIOS tool because even without Cydia it protects your phone from auto firmware updates aggressively pushed by Apple.

This jailbreak will be another semi-untethered (side load) JB like we had for 9.3.3 and 10.1.1 and 10.2. You need Cydia Impactor to load the IPA file onto your phone.

Get Cydia Impacotr here: Cydia Impactor
Get LiberiOS jb tool ipa from here: LiberiOS - Now liberating *OS up to (but not including) 11.2
The biggest risk of a jailbreak for an iOS version that’s not the current version is that anything requiring the restoration of the device will result in loss of the jailbreak. Users have to be extremely careful to ensure they never get into the position of having to restore their jailbroken device.

The biggest risk of a jailbreak for an iOS version that’s not the current version is that anything requiring the restoration of the device will result in loss of the jailbreak. Users have to be extremely careful to ensure they never get into the position of having to restore their jailbroken device.

Though this is generally a good piece of advice it’s a more from the time gone by when we had untethered jailbreak‘s. Since the advent of these new semi tethered sideload jailbreaks the chance of losing your firmware is infinitesimally small. As you can always reboot your phone into a non-jailbroken state with a simple hard reboot.

In the entirety of the iOS 10 jailbreak season I only heard of two people that got into such an unstable state that they had to restore to a later firmware. And even in those two cases they were fooling around with deep files in the system they really had no business messing with. The vast majority of us were really at no risk.

For this reason, I’m not interested in an untethered jailbreak ever again. Too risky.

So it’s looking like, when all is said & done... we’ll have 3 different jailbreak tools for iOS11-11.1.2. The one that’s already out from @Morpheus called “LiberIOS” and coming shortly we’ll have the one from @cheesecakeufo and the one from @coolstar, the developer of the theming app, Anemone.

We’re all just waiting on Saurik to update Cydia and Cydia Substrate.

I’ve already jailbroken with the LiberIOS tool because even without Cydia it protects your phone from auto firmware updates aggressively pushed by Apple.

This jailbreak will be another semi-untethered (side load) JB like we had for 9.3.3 and 10.1.1 and 10.2. You need Cydia Impactor to load the IPA file onto your phone.

Get Cydia Impacotr here: Cydia Impactor
Get LiberiOS jb tool ipa from here: LiberiOS - Now liberating *OS up to (but not including) 11.2

None of my iOS devices automatically updates the operating system, I have to tell it to perform the update.

None of my iOS devices automatically updates the operating system, I have to tell it to perform the update.

Every user of iOS 10 and iOS 11 has seen the “Install Now, Install Later, Details“ window pop up after Apple tries knocking at the door of your phone rather rudely. Yes, you can bypass that window if you hit the Details button. If you hit Install Later it will automatically do it while your phone is on the charger overnight.

Anyone waiting for a jailbreak would never want to ever see this window at all and the autodownload of the update it does in the background (can’t be turned off). And with the jailbreak I have installed now that window never comes up again. That’s why you want to be jailbroken as soon as it’s possible.

If you want to stop the auto-download turn off the wifi when charging at night.

I'm not saying don't jailbreak, just make sure you're not doing it in spite of something, rather to gain something (whatever that may be for you personally)

There’s no such function in iOS. Although an iOS update will auto download it will never install itself without your express permission.

There’s no such function in iOS. Although an iOS update will auto download it will never install itself without your express permission.

Who has said otherwise? I’ve been doing this a very long time, SciFi. When I say something happens - it does..[emoji16]..

Perhaps I communicated imprecisely. The download happens in the background automatically. That’s a FACT. If you hit install later - it will install with no further warning windows. If you hit Details / it will do nothing. That’s true.

So many people have accidentally hit the Install Later button thinking they’d get another window to say NO or YES to.

What the JB does is prevent the auto download in the background from happening at all.

That was the main thing I was trying to communicate. And to make sure users are aware what the Install Later button does.

Is there a JB for IOS 8.4.1 32 bit devices like iPhone 4s by ETasonJB unteathered? Looks like the OP is lacking information such as Yalu JB etc. and not sure if the OP will be updated for newer JB releases for older IOS and legacy devices?

One of my 4's is on IOS 6.1.3 currently and its JB, but before I jailbroke it, I did a recovery on MacOS Mountain Lion with an older itunes and it did a recovery placing IOS 6.1.3 on it why I have no idea. Then it wanted to update to 8.4.1 and I decided to wait until I get more information about any JB's for 8.4.1.

If I connect it to a Mac with El Capitan with an almost up to date iTunes it wants to update to IOS 9.3.5, really confusing.

Is there also some JB out there for 9.3.5?

Last edited:
Is there a JB for IOS 8.4.1 32 bit devices like iPhone 4s by ETasonJB unteathered? Looks like the OP is lacking information such as Yalu JB etc. and not sure if the OP will be updated for newer JB releases for older IOS and legacy devices?

One of my 4's is on IOS 6.1.3 currently and its JB, but before I jailbroke it, I did a recovery on MacOS Mountain Lion with an older itunes and it did a recovery placing IOS 6.1.3 on it why I have no idea. Then it wanted to update to 8.4.1 and I decided to wait until I get more information about any JB's for 8.4.1.

If I connect it to a Mac with El Capitan with an almost up to date iTunes it wants to update to IOS 9.3.5, really confusing.

There is a jailbreak for 32 bit devices running 8.4.1:
Untethered 32-bit jailbreak for iOS 8.4.1 released

And there‘s also a jailbreak for 9.3.5:
How To Jailbreak iOS 9.3.5 Without Computer Using Phoenix | Redmond Pie

iOS 9.3.5 is the latest iOS version for the iPhone 4S and the only one Apple is currently signing. If you jailbreak, it'll have to be the jailbreak for iOS 9.3.5.

iOS 9.3.5 is the latest iOS version for the iPhone 4S and the only one Apple is currently signing. If you jailbreak, it'll have to be the jailbreak for iOS 9.3.5.

Thanks how can I check if tfp0 is enabled before I start? I am on 6.1.3 and ran the JB p0sixspwn, not sure if that JB enables tfp0 or not, there are some guides on how to downgrade using the odysseusOTA tool for both for 6.1.3 and 8.4.1 but there is a warning in the readme to make sure tfp0 is enabled? Is that a background running program? I Ssh'd into the iPhone and tried the command ps x to see if that is running in the background but the ps x command is not understood.

Googled and found on wiki that after p0sixspwn JB, tfp0 is enabled. It lists all the JB's that have tfp0 enabled after the JB and the ones that are not.

Last edited:
1.0 of the Electra Jailbreak for iOS 11.0-11.1.2 has released tonight. This is the one with Cydia installed and running. Not very many tweaks updated for 11 yet.. but several compatibility lists out there.

CoolStar on Twitter

As with any new JB tool - walk cautiously. If you’ve had only the beta versions of Electra so far you’re good to go.

If you grabbed any of the leaked versions of RC1.1-1.3 you may not have as smooth a ride.

...Perhaps I communicated imprecisely. The download happens in the background automatically. That’s a FACT. If you hit install later - it will install with no further warning windows. If you hit Details / it will do nothing. That’s true.

So many people have accidentally hit the Install Later button thinking they’d get another window to say NO or YES to. ...

...That was the main thing I was trying to communicate. And to make sure users are aware what the Install Later button does.

If the "Install Later" is accidentally selected you can go to Settings-> General->Storage & iCloud Usage-> Manage Storage and delete the downloaded update. It won't automatically install the update.

Also, if you turn off the wifi while charging at night it won't download the update automatically either.

If the "Install Later" is accidentally selected you can go to Settings-> General->Storage & iCloud Usage-> Manage Storage and delete the downloaded update. It won't automatically install the update.

Also, if you turn off the wifi while charging at night it won't download the update automatically either.

Yes. This is your only hope. Install later always mean an auto install unless you delete the install package.