What's new

The "Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on iOS X.X.X" Thread

Ive done this so far and looks really good. Would Deepend help a little? Simply extract the Sub-Folders of the Package into the Themes-Folder of Winterboard (SSH, Library -> Themes) and check the iOS 7-Entries.

Best used together with "FlatIcons"-Theme on Cydia, JellyLock, JellyLockClock, CardSwitcher, FlatIcons Color-Keyboard-Theme and the "iOS 7 Font" (new on Cydia, for use with bytafont-tweak). Find some Wallpapers of iOS7 with Google. I use the tweaks "Five-Column Springboard" and "Five Icon Dock" as an addition.

Note: Get the "No Icon Shadows" Tweak in Cydia if you will completely remove the Icon-Shadowing to get an fully flat Springboard-Look.

Is there any tweak to make the keyboard type faster? i have ioverclock already seems to help the 3gs out alot. Just not noticing any real speed maybe because i use to android. Any swype for this yet? I did notice some speak to txt its kinda weird but works. When i press mic to speak and tap done there are 3 color dots in the message. When you smooth them over with your finger the txt appears and tap send

But here's the important section of the definition from Wiki.. This line is key..

Some failbreaks cannot be released to the public for various reasons, so "failbreak" is also sometimes used to refer to any jailbreak that cannot be released to the public, whether or not that jailbreak is complete.
Most often the term failbreak is used (as I use it in this case) when a few exploits enable an unstable jailbreak to run on the dev's phone. But several more exploits are needed for it to run as a public untether. The one in the video is a 'failbreak' that meets Wiki's definition. winocm is quite a ways away yet. These days - major public releases - take "teams" of devs to get a public untether ready. I don't think winocm will nail this by himself. But I'd love to be proved wrong. :)

I wonder if they are somehow using disassembler/assemblers to change the bootrom/kernel. How else could it be done? If its binary it has to be disassembled right? After they find the exploit then use something like IDA Pro to modify the binary, no?

But here's the important section of the definition from Wiki.. This line is key..

Most often the term failbreak is used (as I use it in this case) when a few exploits enable an unstable jailbreak to run on the dev's phone. But several more exploits are needed for it to run as a public untether. The one in the video is a 'failbreak' that meets Wiki's definition. winocm is quite a ways away yet. These days - major public releases - take "teams" of devs to get a public untether ready. I don't think winocm will nail this by himself. But I'd love to be proved wrong. :)

As far as I can tell he plans on releasing it to the public. They coined the term last year for a jail break they were never going to be able to release. I don't see it meeting the terms of your quote at all. If anything the quote you put there proves my point that it shouldn't be referred to as a failbreak.

As far as I can tell he plans on releasing it to the public. They coined the term last year for a jail break they were never going to be able to release. I don't see it meeting the terms of your quote at all. If anything the quote you put there proves my point that it shouldn't be referred to as a failbreak.
That's just it. If you follow the feeds... as I assume you are - it's no where NEAR ready for public yet. It only runs on '1' phone - his. That's the classic definition of 'failbreak'.

That's just it. If you follow the feeds... as I assume you are - it's no where NEAR ready for public yet. It only runs on '1' phone - his. That's the classic definition of 'failbreak'.

I think you need to read that quote you put above again.

I think you need to read that quote you put above again.
Well.. some significant progress has been made since I last checked the feeds.. I think I will agree - we're past 'failbreak' as of the last couple of days. Sorry I wasn't totally caught up. I am now. Very positive signs now.. :)

There is an iOS 7 tethered jailbreak for the iPhone 4 ONLY. NOT THE 4S, NOT THE 5, NOT THE 5C, NOT THE 5S. STRICTLY THE IPHONE 4.

Note that even with the jailbreak, everything has to be done manually. Compatibility between device and tweaks will be limited as iOS 7 was an entire overhaul. This is essentially a hacker/developer jailbreak, not user-friendly.

Last edited:
A little note from Jay Freeman (@Saurik)

[....] Nothing is currently blocked on "Cydia being broken":( Cydia was fixed weeks ago, but it would do nothing but harm to release an update to Cydia without things like Substrate working sufficiently, so Cydia is blocked on Substrate.

In turn, Substrate is also not "broken". Sure: it wouldn't work if you tried it; but the implication is if Substrate is "broken", somehow Substrate is "what needs to be fixed". In fact, the current jailbreaks that are released simply do not work sufficiently for Substrate: the jailbreaks are "broken".

This is confusing for users, because often to them a jailbreak is a binary "either it works or it doesn't" sort of thing. it is exceptionally confusing, as there are some well-known (but outside of the core development community) people who keep posting screenshots of Substrate "working" :(.

Some of them even tweeted corrections directly at me ;P after I made that post on Twitter linking to that video (the one where I said "Current iOS 7 tethered jailbreak patches don't yet support Substrate; developers can Cycript the Simulator if needed.") claiming (incorrectly) that the issue was fixed...

However, the reality is that opensn0w simply does not work correctly right now: it is missing a key kernel patch that allows something like Substrate's native-code hooking mechanism to function, as the kernel detects the process has been modified and revokes some of its "entitlements" (sort of like permissions).

While some people then insist "well, it still sort of works", these entitlements are required for "critical stuff" that you might not notice with just a glance. And, in the most important situation (SpringBoard) it is absolutely fatal when they are revoked: backboardd rejects it and you are stuck at an Apple logo.

This means that opensn0w is actually a jailbreak that has been useless for me; and, because it is useless for me, it has been useless for most developers as well: people talk about it as a tool for developers to start testing things, but right now it is ironically only for more casual usage ;P.

What I mean by that is that yes: you can use this jailbreak to run SSH on the device and edit a file in a text editor; but you can't use this jailbreak to, for example, work on fixing bugs in WinterBoard, because the kernel patches aren't sufficient for using Substrate's MSHookFunction functionality :(.

The other group of people, of course, whom opensn0w could be targeted at are jailbreakers (who might want to work on kernel patches), but they all have their own tools and platforms--ones with GUIs and codebases they understand--so none of them are looking at or using opensn0w ;P.

This is thereby like the worst possible combination, as it means there has been a lot of confusion in the community: users think "oh, there's a jailbreak, maybe I should try it!" and then find out "oh, nothing works on it, it must be saurik's fault". Meanwhile, developers and I are just waiting around.

Thankfully, planetbeing had some time to look at this issue a couple nights ago (time stolen from the 5S) and he now has the right patch. When MuscleNerd gets back, I'll probably get a new build of redsn0w. With this, I'll be able to test Substrate, WinterBoard, and ready the platform.

Then, I'd imagine there will be some kind of internal beta of redsn0w so that people like BigBoss, DHowett, and rpetrich can work on things like libhide, PreferenceLoader, and Activator, at which point I would then presume you'll see a more public release of a working tethered jailbreak.

Of course, this is all conjecture on the timing: I have no clue if or when MuscleNerd will get back (I don't even know where he lives ;P), and redsn0w is his project and will be subject to his release schedule. (So, no: do not even think of quoting me on this imaginary ordering ;P.)

(Also, I will point out that I am speaking at a conference on Saturday that starts on Friday, so if a working jailbreak materializes tomorrow I won't be able dedicate much time to it until Sunday. I'd assume, however, that it won't take me much time to get all of my stuff "ready" with a working jailbreak.)

But again, no: please stop telling people that anything is blocked on Cydia... that's really not correct :(. Cydia works great: there is one more graphical glitch and a few more server-side graphical updates I want to have ready, but all blocking issues and bugs were fixed weeks ago.

(( Really, if any software package is going to cause a block right now, it's uikittools (a package I steward, but is more of a community involvement: most of the code in it comes from people like Erica, rpetrich, DHowett, and more recently even evad3rs). That is the package that has uicache (used to load icons into SpringBoard) and gssc (used to dump the GraphicsServices capabilities table). My current belief is that with Substrate (which is an integral part of my reverse engineering "toolbelt") I could fix gssc much more quickly than without, so I've been waiting for a working jailbreak before wasting a bunch of time trying to pull this apart while blinded; but, while there are some use cases where Cydia won't work as well without gssc, Cydia existed before gssc and would work without gssc, so it is not fair to lump Cydia into that issue. ))

To sum it up (TL;DR), Cydia's basically "functional" though there's a lack of the proverbial lab rats to test it on as there's yet to be a jailbreak with an appropriate kernel patch to fully test any changes and/or develop for on iOS 7, particularly Substrate, which is used in just about 9 out of 10 packages in Cydia one way or another. Hopefully we'll be seeing a bit of action going on with tweak updates and/or new tweaks cropping up to smooth out the pains in the rumps that iOS 7 has imposed.

Source

iH8Sn0w update on the iOS 6.1.3/6.1.4 untethered jailbreak for A6/A6X and below devices.

The release of the 6.1.3/6.1.4 untethered is delayed possibly with the release of iOS 7, as the vulnerabilities are said to possibly work on iOS 7 as well possibly, therefore it's being held off in case the iOS 7 jailbreak can also use them

Hmm.. He kept telling us these exploits were already closed in ios7. Wonder why the change of tune.

iH8Sn0w update on the iOS 6.1.3/6.1.4 untethered jailbreak for A6/A6X and below devices.

The release of the 6.1.3/6.1.4 untethered is delayed possibly with the release of iOS 7, as the vulnerabilities are said to possibly work on iOS 7 as well possibly, therefore it's being held off in case the iOS 7 jailbreak can also use them

Can I ask were you get your information from. I try to monitor all this stuff. I have a 4S I want to jailbreak.

Can I ask were you get your information from. I try to monitor all this stuff. I have a 4S I want to jailbreak.

To put in extremely blatant terms, I "stalk" a lot of developers (both jailbreak and tweak developers) on Twitter and their other forms of social media. A colleague of mine has set up a bot for me to text me about updates on their social media (on top of my apps automatically fetching them) to keep me knee-deep in updates at all times.

7.0.4 has been released. Safe to upgrade to if you're jailbreaking.6.1.5 has also been released, only for the iPod Touch 4th Generation. Jailbreak status is not yet evaluated by @winocm or @ih8sn0w