What's new

Texting only works to new other 4s

tbird0133

Reaction score
Late to the party! Why doesn't the texting/messaging work to other phones? W t heck?

My 4S will text anyone. What network are you on and what network is everyone you are trying to text on? Are you trying to text out of the country?

SMS texting should work to any network and phone. If you are trying to use the iPhones, iMessaging, that only works to other Apple devices that have iOS 5. I believe that iMessaging actually runs thru Apples network, thus only iPhones, iPads and iPods that run iOS 5 can receive it.

I'm on AT&T, not really sure about every else. No one out of country. I do see between iPhones it's blue bubbles, others are green

If you use the Message icon, the green one on the homescreen, you should have no problems. I text my wife all the time, she has the iphone 4 and I have the iphone 4s. I have also received texts from people on different networks and phone platforms as well. I have heard about the special imessage feature where you can text between just the apple phones, but the Message icon should work for you.
Do what I do, research this on the net.

Ive used the message icon on the home screen but also tried thru contacts and send message. I
Should have kept a log of the different combo I
Used. What does the message screen look like in settings?

Make sure your contacts that don't have an iPhone aren't saved as a iPhone. Go to a contact and hit edit and see if there phone number is saved as mobile or iphone. That might do something??

Ive used the message icon on the home screen but also tried thru contacts and send message. I
Should have kept a log of the different combo I
Used. What does the message screen look like in settings?
There is nothing wrong with your iPhone or the message app. Your iPhone have 2 type of messages, sms and iMessage, the sms messages are in green bubbles meaning that it sent to your contact via your carrier network. The iMessages are in blue bubbles, meaning that they are sent to your contacts via Apple iMessage network and require your contact to have at least iOS 5.0.1 installed on their iDevices. The message app setting is located in settings> message/

Im good about using the right field for the right purpose, 99% of my contacts are phone #s set to mobile only use iPhone when I know for sure.

tbird0133 said:
Glad you understand, I still can't text!

Contact your carrier. This is a problem that has the potential to be a carrier problem.