What's new

Text messages

Snowy1703

Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know why when I send a text to my girlfriend who has an I phone 4,sometimes they are coloured blue & send as I messages,& other times they are green and send as text messages.Cheers

When either of you have lost data connection, due to being on the phone or whatever the reason may be, it resorts back to text message. The system will return to iMessage when the phone is back on data.

Snowy1703 said:
Hi,
Does anyone know why when I send a text to my girlfriend who has an I phone 4,sometimes they are coloured blue & send as I messages,& other times they are green and send as text messages.Cheers

If your iPhone is on wifi, then messages are sent and received as iMessages. If your iPhone is on 3G they will be sent and received as text messages.

If your iPhone is on wifi, then messages are sent and received as iMessages. If your iPhone is on 3G they will be sent and received as text messages.

That is not entirely true. I send iMessage texts all day to everyone I know that has an iPhone over 3G. Have been since I got my 4S at the beginning of the year.

If a carrier is blocking it over 3G, that may be part of the problem, but I am not aware of any carriers doing such.

horsehaulin said:
That is not entirely true. I send iMessage texts all day to everyone I know that has an iPhone over 3G. Have been since I got my 4S at the beginning of the year.

If a carrier is blocking it over 3G, that may be part of the problem, but I am not aware of any carriers doing such.

That's the way it works with my phone.

Skull One said:
Do you have internet access turned off while you are not on WiFi? If so, that would explain your condition.

Maybe it's different depending on what kind of phone the person on the other end has? All,I know is that I've had cases where I've been having a running conversation with a friend ( both of us have iphones)and the messages I received when i was away from home and my phone was on 3G were text messages and messages received when I was at home and my phone was on wifi were iMessages.

scifan57 said:
Maybe it's different depending on what kind of phone the person on the other end has? All,I know is that I've had cases where I've been having a running conversation with a friend ( both of us have iphones)and the messages I received when i was away from home and my phone was on 3G were text messages and messages received when I was at home and my phone was on wifi were iMessages.

Mine does the same thing .