What's new

Text Wrapping in Safari

Sir2545

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry if this question has already been answered, I was unsure of how to search for it, and I couldn't find any info. I came from Android operating system and when you zoom in the browser the text auto-wrapsto fit the screen. I see that safari doesn't do this. What are you guys doing to work around this issue? Are there any other browser apps that have this option? Scrolling from side to side is kind of a nuisance.

I am bumping this for an answer. I find it very annoying that Safari does not auto-warp the text to fit the screen.

Anyway to get around this? Are there any other browsers that we can use to fix this?

Just came from android phone and this was my favorite feature, auto wrap/fit...any help

I just discovered the Reader function in Safari iOS5. If a site has a lot of text, a small purple button appears and tapping it will render all of the text only into a nice readable format. It's not word wrap but it helps.

It was my favorite feature on my droid by far.. Pisses me off about safari.

I just discovered the Reader function in Safari iOS5. If a site has a lot of text, a small purple button appears and tapping it will render all of the text only into a nice readable format. It's not word wrap but it helps.
I haven't seen the purple button or the Reader function on my phone.I just got it this week.Where is this setting please.Thanx

I just double tap safari and it fits into the iPhone screen. If I want it bigger I use two fingers to squeeze to zoom if I want it back to full page I double Tao again. Simples.

iHolophyte

I just double tap safari and it fits into the iPhone screen. If I want it bigger I use two fingers to squeeze to zoom if I want it back to full page I double Tao again. Simples.

iHolophyte

Yes, but it doesn't word wrap. You have to move the screen left and right to read a sentence. It's highly annoying.

Are we talking the 4 or 4s? I have the 4 and nothing in the browser word wraps, even if I use the reader function.

Unless you have iOS 5, you won't get the Reader button in the URL address bar. And, Safari won't wrap text on a zoom, it'll just zoom (so you'll have to pan back and forth to read).

I use Atomic Web Browser ($0.99, USD) for that very reason. It has a text zoom feature and I can put semi-transparent buttons on the screen to I can increase/decrease the sizing to my heart's content.

It is one of my main complaints about Safari. I'm old and I need to zoom - but with reflow! :D

Anyway, try an alternate browser for text reflow. Cause, it ain't happening (well, so far) with Safari.

Marilyn

P.S. The Reader button doesn't wrap the text, per se. You get a pop-up with all the extraneous stuff (e.g. ads) stripped out of it. You can also increased the font of the displayed text - which does wrap in that little pop-up.

The solution I have found is to paste text into an email, save a draft (to remove the keyboard), then open it, and have email text set to a large size in iphone settings - accessibility. Here all is nicely wrapped. But this doesn't work for many pdfs where I can't get the words out of the photographed page.