What's new

Tethering Question

applechick

Reaction score
When I bought my iPhone 5, I paid in full for it as I did not want to lose my unlimited data. I also pay $30.00 a month so I can tether from my iPhone. I have always been under the assumption that I have unlimited tethering, since I share with my data plan, which is unlimited.

Yesterday I was at the Verizon store with a family member and he told me my tethering is not unlimited, it's only 2gb. I don't see how that can be but he was adamant.

Does anyone know anything about this?

If you have unlimited data your tethering should be unlimited as well(mine is). If you want to save yourself $30/month and your iPhone is on a jailbreakable firmware you could install TetherMe and tether for free

If you have unlimited data your tethering should be unlimited as well(mine is). If you want to save yourself $30/month and your iPhone is on a jailbreakable firmware you could install TetherMe and tether for free

That's what I always though too- but the guy who works at the Verizon store insisted that I was wrong- that it doesn't matter if you have unlimited data you cannot have unlimited tethering!

Ps I do not have a jailbreak

It should be thrown in with your plan as well from VZW. Might want to call a rep rather than approach one face-to-face. But AFAIK, it's only tied in with 4GB or above individual plans. Not sure about Shared Everything plans.

The sales rep is right. I remember looking into this two years ago when I first got my iPhone and under an unlimited plan for the phone. Tethering was extra and it was not unlimited. I don't recall the price, but it allowed for 2GB. you could pay for more if you wanted it.

Update- I called Verizon and spoke with a rep who confirmed I do have the unlimited mobile hot spot....

I'm on unlimited data with verizon. I just got my iPhone 5 a couple of months ago. I switched from a droid RAZR MAXX and I swill wanted to be able to tether will my unlimited data. Unfortunately after speaking to many verizon reps you don't get unlimited tethering. So I just jail broke my phone and saved myself $30 a month.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I'm on unlimited data with verizon. I just got my iPhone 5 a couple of months ago. I switched from a droid RAZR MAXX and I swill wanted to be able to tether will my unlimited data. Unfortunately after speaking to many verizon reps you don't get unlimited tethering. So I just jail broke my phone and saved myself $30 a month.

That's the best way to do it.
Tether me has been wonderful for me.

Wondering if maybe I'm grandfathered in, since I've had this feature in my plan for over a year already...

Simple resolve to this...what has your bill shown? If you haven't even gone over the 2Gb allowance to see if you will be charged...why worry about it? :)

Im with three in the UK and no matter which tethering app i use, I get a tethering block. Even though I pay £45 a month for unlimited data... They expect me to pay an addition £5 a month to enable tethering which is capped at 1GB per month. Ridiculous is too weak a word for that but I have no other! You guys who can tether are lucky