What's new

syncing outlook on 2 computers?

BillFarino

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to the forum - this is my first post here.
I have an older Windows phone that I'm going to replace soon, hopefully with a new iPhone. Currently I am able to sync my old windows phone with Outlook Calendar and, Contacts on both my work computer and, my home computer (using USB). From my experience with my iPod Touch I know that syncing Outlook for these items on one computer is a piece of cake. What I don't know is if and how I can sync an iPhone with both computers so that I end up being able to keep all 3 devices matching for Calendar and, Contacts?
Thanks,
Bill

You won't be able to constantly sync between multiple computers. The iPhone needs one dedicated PC.

You won't be able to constantly sync between multiple computers. The iPhone needs one dedicated PC.

On the one hand, this has been my overall impression. On the other, I saw some stuff on Apple's Support pages that seems to say that you can, using iCloud, at least for calendar, contacts and notes; this would work for me because I really don't want my music on my work computer.

The support info isn't sufficiently clear, however, for me to be certain since I don't yet have an iPhone and I'm not yet familiar with everything discussed.

I would like for my iPhone to do the same thing but no luck so far. I am hoping that iCloud will handle the main features of Outlook as well. Here is how I am working around the issue, I kept an old windows phone that does not have a sim card (basically a PDA) and I sync my home and work PC's. When they are sync'd I then sync my iPhone with my home pc, now all the calendar, contacts, tasks and notes are on my iPhone. Like I said I am hoping iCloud removes this extra step but it works for now.

iCloud will work as it will drop the need of a computer.

Well, thing is I still need to have Outlook kept up to date on two PC's, in both directions. Will iCloud allow me to do that, particularly on my work computer which has more security features enabled? I'm guessing I'll need iTunes on both computers to sync however, I really don't want my music, videos, etc on my work computer. Unless outlook can sync with the data in iCloud without iTunes?