What's new

Synching iPhone 4S (not new) with iTunes for the First Time

JLSchutt

Reaction score
My wife has had an iPad for several years and (I) periodically synch it with iTunes on her Windows 7 computer. She got an iPhone 4S several months ago and has never synched it with iTunes. We thought maybe it was time to do that, so I connected the iPhone to her computer and started iTunes. The first question was, did I want to install the phone as a brand new iPhone or restore it from the iPad? I really want to do neither - I just want to synch it and back it up to the PC. I don't want to change anything on the iPhone itself. I definitely don't want to restore from the iPad and I'm afraid some things will be lost from the iPhone if I choose the other option. What should I do?

Select new phone. That would create a different profile on her computer so that her computer knows the differentiation between this phone and other devices. It won't affect anything else on the device. Then simply backup the device and there we have it.

Many thanks for the advice, willerz2. I synched the 4S successfully last night, so now iTunes on my wife's PC knows about both the iPad and the iPhone.